Popular Defined | Teen Ink

Popular Defined

By E.L.W. PLATINUM, Glen Allen, Virginia
E.L.W. PLATINUM, Glen Allen, Virginia

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels.
The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes -
the ones who see things differently.
They're not fond of rules and they have no respect for the status quo.
They push the human race forward.

She smells like the inside of the Abercrombie store. You sneeze as you walk past her, but she merely glances reproachfully at your retreating back. Her lips are covered in a juicy bubblegum-colored glaze of lipgloss. You feel your chapped lips which are only ever treated to a tube of Burts Bees. You feel an urge to step on her foot, which is swaddled in the newest model of Ugg Australia as she pokes her pink lips forward for a smooch from her guy.

You tried wearing those jeans once. You saw them at Hollister, but they were far too small on your average sized thighs and healthy sized butt. They look great on her, you notice, as she moves on from boyfriend to friends, a group of total clones. They wear the same lipgloss as she, and reapply before Chem. Their Uggs are the same model, although different colors.

This is one definition of popular. But then again, popular is subjective. What is popular? Is popular being admired? Is it being admired for who you are or what you own? Is it being the one with the best stuff and the faithful group of cronies to carry out your bidding? Is it just being ruthlessly mean, is it the ability to make one unfortunate nerd's high school experience a living hell? Or is it being loved and adored by all, simply for your charisma, your charm, your power, but also your kindness? Its up to you.

On the surface, it looks like the "popular" girl, no matter which type, has everything. Maybe she does. But maybe she has no true friends. It could all be a charade. At the end of the day she might have nobody to confide in, due to her backstabbing, lying, cheating, and popularity. People are jealous of her. Sometimes the reason she is popular is because of insecurity -- she feels she has to in order to be loved by anyone. This isn't the case with everyone at all, but for some.

Isn't popularity all about confidence? About the way you perceive yourself? Isn't popularity about acceptance from others and a general feeling of being liked by the populace? So why is it sometimes the meanest girl that gets the crown? Charisma and confidence.

But do you think girls that mean are actually liked? Would you rather be superficially adored by all through deceit or have a few true friends who will stay by your side for the rest of your life?

Its all up to you.

This is not a judgement. This is a reflection on the stereotypical definition of popular and exploring how that is or is not true and how one gets there and why.