Sexting: Know the Facts | Teen Ink

Sexting: Know the Facts MAG

By Katie Bachman BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Katie Bachman BRONZE, Auburn, New York

High-tech has created a new low. The term “sexting” is a combination of the words sex and texting, and refers to the practice of sending sexually ­explicit photos electronically, mainly by cell phone. The incidents of sexting have dramatically increased in the past few years; 20 percent of teens said they had sent a sexting message, according to a 2008 study commissioned by the National ­Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy and Cosmogirl.com. Though many in our generation are taking part, few understand the serious consequences of this irresponsible fad.

Recent advances in technology have revolutionized the way we interact socially. Cell phones and e-mail have changed the way we communicate but have led to dangerous and ­destructive behavior. While some teens may think sexting is fun or harmless, this new craze can have devastating consequences. When a photo or video is sent to another person, privacy is lost forever. The content can be broadcast to anyone. The original sender has no control once he or she presses “send.”

The consequences of sexting can be ­severe, ranging from embarrassment to ­imprisonment or worse. Explicit photos or videos forwarded from person to person can cause embarrassment for the original sender. Many teens don’t realize that once they hit “send,” control of who else sees that compromising photo is now completely up to the recipient. You may think you know your friend, boyfriend, or girlfriend, but can you trust them forever?

Many young people who thought sexting was a harmless game ended up having their lives destroyed. In one tragic incident, Jesse Logan, an 18-year-old from Ohio, was mercilessly humiliated after explicit photos she had sexted to a boyfriend ended up circulating among her peers. She eventually killed herself.

Imagine being convicted of the crime of child pornography and serving five year’s probation. You are rejected by colleges, lose your friends, and have to move because your home is too close to a school. You’re unable to get a job, and you have to register as a sex ­offender until you are 43. That’s exactly what happened to Phillip Alpert, a Florida 18-year-old. He ruined his life by circulating nude pictures of his girlfriend (which she had sent him), by texting them to his friends, her friends, and her family. The legal problem: she was only 16 and a minor; distributing explicit photos of a minor constitutes child pornography. The real problem: like many teenagers, he did not understand the long-term consequences of his actions.

Sexting may seem like harmless fun, but teens should think twice before hitting the “send” button. There is no turning back once a message is sent.

mkrmelanie SILVER, Luverne, Minnesota
>know the "facts"
>category = opinion

Ok

Astridology BRONZE, Parma, Ohio
Also, may I add this whole thing wouldn't be much of an issue as it is if we didn't have such a stigma around se.x. (Especially, when it come to girls.)

Astridology BRONZE, Parma, Ohio
Personally, I don't like how you go back and forth on blaming the victim of a revenge scheme, which is usually why things like this get leaked anyway. Also, you should clarify that only media content like pictures and videos can get you in trouble, text messages are mostly fine, but a lot of people put them in a moral grey area.

MorganBB said...
Here in Florida, once you turn 18, you're not a minor, so he was having inappropriate relations with a minor and distributed illicit photos of her. Both are very illegal.

JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas

"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

Yeahhh I don' really think we can consider it child pornography if it's one minor sending it to another minor. If they distributed it or made money off of it? Sure, but otherwise, who cares. It's not like some 17 year old's breasts are gonna bring forth the apocalypse. Honestly, if boys weren't so awful this wouldn't even be a conversation because peoples' naked pictures wouldn't be posted in front of god and everyone.

Thefanatasticagirlie101 SILVER, Euless, Texas

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul; that makes us reach for more, that plants the fire in our hearts and brings peace to our mind. That's what I hope to give you forever." ~The Notebook

True that. 5/5 for rating. Teens these days. Jk!

on Apr. 30 2014 at 10:53 am
ShatteredHeArT SILVER, Americus, Georgia

LIFE offers us choices and forces us to live with the consequences of our decisions.

That is so true

on Apr. 1 2013 at 2:14 am
pulledheartstring, San Jose, California

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. -- Mahatma Gandhi

A good informative article, although most people don't really research on things before doing them, if they are that careless/clueless.

Westsider said...
Sexting is kind off limits to teenagers especially. That should only be happening among serious adult relationships. Also married couples. I’m saying that because they are more secrete about it and more responsible and a lil more respectable.

Natalie12 said...
I think that all of this is very true. I believe that sexting is completely wrong on either genders behalf. Either way I believe that a kid should know what they getting themselves into when they send a naked picture of themself. You shouldn't really trust anyone with anything about your privacy.

TaylorJade BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia

You're not alive unless you're living.

I didn't see that comment until just now. Haha. (: But you are right. It is.. If only people could see that.

maeugeniap BRONZE, ----, Other

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

True, I agree. 

maeugeniap BRONZE, ----, Other

I'm so sorry that happened to your friend. I hope she's learned the lesson and never does that again (NEVER). Hang over some day together and think of a plan. You could sneak in his house, or when he goes to the bathroom, take his phone from the table, and delete the photos. You could also tell him what you feel and ask him why is he doind this and what does he feel. 

But I believe the best you could do is for herself tell her parents and friends the truth: "I took some nasty photos of myself for my BF, but IM REALLY SORRY. Please, would you forgive me?". Then, she could break up with that boy and her family and friends will understand, specially, they'll not be mad with your friend. Hope it helps.

u spelled article wrong

RAhR said...
on Jan. 9 2012 at 9:58 am
I agree because if the person sending the photos knows the cons. and still decides to do it, then it's on THEIR own free-will to and it's on them. They should only recieve ounid=shment from their parents if by anyone, NOT the gov. It's just too private of a 'subject' for them to get involved in.

BadGirl GOLD said...
BadGirl GOLD, Dacula, Georgia

I'd rather be HATED for who I am
then be LOVED for who I'm not.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All I need is for someone to say "I believe in you."

I would never send something like that to anyone!!! That's so embarrassing!!! No one should send something like that to anyone!!!

on Dec. 25 2011 at 10:53 am
Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

life isn't passing me by, it's trying to run me over!

But Police and others can still retrieve it even if its been deleted. Once you hit "send" its out there forever. But i would break his phone though...

on Nov. 29 2011 at 11:26 am
JasmineNoelle1 BRONZE, There Is No Need To Know This !!!, Texas

You never needed to change my darling you just need to have confidence in yourself to be yourself and not change for someone else.

that's horrible!!!!!

TaylorJade BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia

You're not alive unless you're living.

When you send pics of yourself to someone and they somehow get sent to other people, guys seem to automatically think that other girls will do it too when they won't. And it makes other girls look bad or look like a prude, when really they just respect themself too much to risk a personal picture to go viral... So, that's how. And it may not be that way where ever you are, but that's how it is here.

Jessbug SILVER said...
Jessbug SILVER, Jersey City, New Jersey

“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

I didn't really mean the question the way it was asked. It's obvious why it's degrading. What I meant was, why just women? I would think it's degrading for anyone involved.