Skins Causes Drama in the States | Teen Ink

Skins Causes Drama in the States

February 17, 2011
By xxPaulinka GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
xxPaulinka GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
10 articles 2 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"You're like a bassist. You do a lot and no one seems to notice, until you stop."


The United Kingdom is taking over the United States once again. The very popular show, Skins, has been remade in America to be shown on MTV. Skins is basically Degrassi but hyped up with drugs, partying, and sex. It combines life, love, friendship and partying and tackles issues teenagers can relate to such as heartbreak, backstabbing, cheating, homosexuality, and a lot more. The United States version pretty much mimics the United Kingdom’s version but with a few changes. The dialect is obviously different, seeing as the English prefer to use words such as “wanker” and “twatter,” which you don’t hear in America. The first episode was almost an exact copy of the original, just with cast changes and one or two extra scenes. The homosexual character of Maxxie Oliver has also been turned into a lesbian cheerleader by the name of Tea Marvelli for the American version. While in the UK it is very popular and highly applauded, in America, the show faces a few problems.
You’ve probably heard all about it – the constant commercials on MTV, the Facebook posts, the reviews in magazines, the articles in newspapers. Skins is the hottest show on cable right now, and “hot” can be taken in two different ways. It is a very popular show that had over 3 million viewers on its premiere night, but it’s also a very steamy show that it getting a lot of heat from many adults. Over 1.2 million of the viewers that tuned in that night were under the age of 18, but the show clearly states that it is for mature audiences only. Parents believe that the theme of sex and drugs that runs throughout the show doesn’t belong on television. Teens, on the other hand, believe the opposite. This television show is very relatable to most teens. Even though it is illegal for minors to take part in drugs and sexual activities, most teens do it anyways. It shows the many problems that occur when you live a life that revolves around drugs. The show also shows the different things that teens go through - homosexuality, parental neglect, loss of a family member, etc. Parents should not judge this show simply from only the first episode. When the show originally aired in the UK, there was definitely a lot less fuss than the US one, because in England, they have a better tolerance for more mature television. The UK version is already on its fifth season of the show, and it is progressively getting better and better. The only thing I can say is that if they’re complaining about the MTV version, they should see the original. The American one is like a timid little lamb compared to the British lion. Skins is the reality of teenagers living today, and not many adults can accept that.