Rodeo by Travis Scott Album Review | Teen Ink

Rodeo by Travis Scott Album Review

By mgrauer24 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
mgrauer24 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

On September 4, 2015, Travis Scott released his debut album Rodeo. Fans were first teased by hit singles “Antidote” and “3500” featuring 2 Chainz and Future. When the anticipated album was finally released, it established Scott as an elite artist with a very unique style. Throughout the 16 tracks, Travis showcased his impressive flow, production, and the ability to master autotune. A very exciting group of artists were featured on the album as well, including Quavo, 2 Chainz, Future, Juicy J, Kacy Hill, The Weeknd, Chief Keef, Swae Lee, Kanye West, Justin Bieber, Young Thug, and Toro y Moi. Travis Scott’s versatility is present in every song on the album, but stands out especially in the iconic pieces “Antidote” and “90210” featuring Kacy Hill. In these tracks, the Houston native shows off his vocals and his different flows, which fit the songs very well. The production in this album is also something to note. Each track is very unique, making the album a very enjoyable experience from start to finish. On “Pray 4 Love” featuring The Weeknd, the listeners were presented with great lyricism, production, and vocals from the duo. Rodeo is a very consistent album as there are no below average songs in my opinion, with the exception of one. My least favorite track is “Flying High” featuring Toro y Moi. The production on this track is solid, but there are no special qualities that make it memorable in my opinion. The track is very repetitive and therefore boring, and it seems there was not a lot of effort put into the song. Aside from “Flying High” though, the 1 hour 15 minute album is basically flawless. Travis incorporates a great mix of high energy songs such as “Antidote” and “Nightcrawler” featuring Swae Lee and Chief Keef, with very mellow tracks such as “Apple Pie” and “Maria I’m Drunk” featuring Justin Bieber and Young Thug. Rodeo’s popularity progressed within the past 6 and a half years, surpassing 1 billion streams in early 2020. It has become an iconic album of the 2010’s, and is a strong contender for being the best “Trap Hip-Hop” album ever. This album gets a rating of 9.4 out of 10 from me.