Hardcore Rebels vs. The Bubblegum Kiddies | Teen Ink

Hardcore Rebels vs. The Bubblegum Kiddies

By FluteChick PLATINUM, Jefferson, Oregon
FluteChick PLATINUM, Jefferson, Oregon

Listening to popular music can be a good way to stay in touch with change in our culture. Many popular bands make it to the pop chart. They are heard on the radio, are seen on TV shows and on the internet. There are some major differences about these bands that make them either appealing or trash. Some of these differences include their sound, image, and audience. These differences are prominently seen between two major pop groups: Green Day and the Jonas Brothers.
Sound is one of the most important things for any musical group and for them to survive it has to be appealing to the masses. Green Day’s lyrics focus mostly on alienation, hysteria, girls, the effects of doing drugs, and political issues; the latter is important in their acclaimed album American Idiot. Their sound is generally more pop punk, consisting of distorted guitar, fast manic drums, and relatively high treble bass, all accompanying Billie Joe Armstrong’s abrasive baritone as he belts out his rebel libretto and intense swearing that enlivens his already lively fans. In contrast, the Jonas Brothers’ lyrics relate to no one over 13 and are shallow, unintelligent, and extremely unoriginal, recycling overused themes such as love, losing your girlfriend to someone else, how everybody wants you, and being popular. Many of the Jonas Brothers’ fans must be deaf to the fuzzed up guitars with their simple and uninspired chords, and the rather weak vocals singing cotton-candy choruses in three part harmonies. According to a reviewer, the Jonas Brothers’ music is “typical sugar-coated crap that is launched at the hormonic girly population.”
In appearance, Green Day and the Jonas Brothers’ have only one thing in common: sloppy private school uniforms. Green Day, though, again utilizes more punk garb: spiky hair and mohawks, black eyeliner, leather, piercings, and tattoos. Their stage appearance, too, employs punk themes; on a live video of one of their most famous singles-“Boulevard of Broken Dreams”-their stage is lit with bright green dry ice and at the ending climax, flames shoot up from the stage. In an interview, the frontman, Billie Joe, explained that they are “three guys that like to play pop-punk music and get naked on stage. What’s not to like?” For JB fans, the rebel look obviously isn’t appealing; each of the three bros are clean-cut Disney stars that wouldn’t utter a swear word if their life depended on it. The corny clapping of hands and waving of arms accompanies their rather bad attempts at mock-playing their instruments, techno lights erratically flashing to the insistent beat, blinding the frenzied devotees as they scream “I love you” to their favored Jonas Brother.
How a band is born depends on its audience and to continue existing it must constantly feed its audience with just what they want. Green Day is a symbol of rebellion from the social structure, drawing the attention of hardcore punk fans, some Goth and emo, and many various ethnicities. The age group is diverse, as well. Any longtime pop punk connoisseur will swear upon their copy of Green Day’s newest album 21st Century Breakdown that Green Day belongs among the punk rock gods. On the other hand, the Jonas Brother’s have scaled Candy Mountain not just by their rather adorable faces and physic; they also have appealed to the overwhelming Christian sect, wearing purity rings to show they will abstain from physical pleasure until after marriage. Although not an altogether disagreeable tactic, the JB have become a symbol of purity and morality. Many hope that through their example, their children will follow their lead and make good choices. Again, the JB have made a fairly admirable maneuver in gaining the confidence of many parents whose young teenyboppers have been sucked into the gravitational pull of the Jonas Brother’s whirlwind.
Though different, these groups have a share in popularity, reaching out to hundreds. They introduce new ideas, draw attention to important issues, and change our culture with their inspirational compositions. Since 1987, Green Day has rocked the pop charts with their alluring unruliness. For four years, the Jonas Brothers have ruled the kiddie-rock stage with their recycled bubblegum. The question is: how much longer will either remain alive? Having experienced the sound and image of both Green Day and the Jonas Brothers, I have to say that my vote is for Green Day to “rock on” long after the Jonas Brothers have passed into obscurity like their predecessors: N’sync and the Backstreet Boys. The messages that Green Day imparts and their driving rock sound that sends the messages out, appeals to a larger range of ages and types of people, and will help with their longevity in the pop rock market. Although I have chosen one particular style of popular music that I prefer, I know that it is important to listen to many different groups that are on the market today to keep in touch with our ever changing culture.

LuvJesus said...
OK, this is good writing but what's up with the part about the Jonas Brothers "appealing to the overwhelming Christian sect"? I am not going to go into the argument about calling us a sect, or overwhelming, because that would take an entire essay. But I am going to remark that you make it sound like this is something wrong or stupid to do. If the Jonas Brothers want to have clean, appropriate lyrics, then let them! You make it sound like it is a problem to be a clean musical group. But your writing is good. :)

wasps said...
wasps, Other
Are you a journalist?? Cause if you are not, you should deffo become one :) Great article, loved it, and totally agree :)

browneyedcat said...
browneyedcat, Melbourne Beach, Florida
go green day!!! and happy earth day! :D

TheDuck GOLD said...
TheDuck GOLD, Braselton, Georgia

“Raids, bullets, crime... no problem. A missing duster? Crisis."-The Last Sacrifice
"If we stand for nothing, we'll fall for anything." -All Time Low

A-FREAKIN-MEN!

Success said...
Success, Baltimore, Maryland

"Action is the foundational key to all success." - Picaso

I just found this now because I never had a favorite quote, but this pretty much sums me up.

Isn't this totally biased.  I know it is an opinion, but REALLY?

GreenDayFan SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

"Every story has an end, but in life, every ending is just a new beginning."
-Uptown Girls

sorry I mean't 'the' not 'yhe'.

GreenDayFan SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

-Uptown Girls

Green Day is the best band ever! I totally get what you are saying in this article. The Jobros have no edge. Mainly, because they can't with disney channel on there hand. Green day is a legend. Good Job on yhe article! =)

CrazyKid56 BRONZE, Fredericksburg, Virginia

haha yea im still stuck in the 80's with Van Halen and ACDC

songofheaven BRONZE, East Amherst, New York

I have found power in the mysteries of thought. -Euripides

I totally get this. It seems like the farther you go back, the better the music gets. Personally, I don't know where we're going. Since 1900 it's been a steady stream of changing music preferences. From Jazz and Blues, to Bluegrass, to Swing, to Rock 'N Roll, to Pop Rock and Peacenik, to Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, to 80's pop and rock, and then to alternative and rap. Now our generation is stuck with teenybopper performers like Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, and other Disney Stars. Sick. So the question now remains...Where is music going?

garciachicka said...
this article is very well written. i like both green day and the jonas brothers(dont be so shocked,it is possible) i dont exactly get the point of it though. what is the point that you are trying to get through? that you like green day more? okay but i dont think that the jonas brothers lyrics just relate to just 13 and younger. try listening to a little bit longer or take a breath or even dont speak.theres more but i cant think of it now. this is a good article though,it really showcases a different opinion.

reginalove SILVER, Lorain, Ohio

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

Oh yeah, and I didn't accuse you of not listening to their music. I just asked...and what songs did you listen to? I hope you listened to them all because a lot of songs that aren't singles are better, especially their new ones.I'llstick with my "Bubble Gum Kiddies" and you'll stick with those "washed up old guys"which is fine. I actually like Green Day...but I like Jonas Brothers more.

reginalove SILVER, Lorain, Ohio

Okay, I respect your opinion totally. I just felt like you were putting down the Jonas Brothers and making them seem like some terrible band. I'm a Jonas fan and of course I'm going to defend them. Okay you've listened to them...if it's not your taste so be it,I wasn't calling you stupid...still this article seemed to be attacking them just because they're popular. Fine you don't

want to be popular, that wasn't my point. It seemed like you were hating on them. Since you want feedback on how this article was written, I think it was very well-written. I just don't like Jonas-thrashing. You did post this article under opinion so you have to expect to get other's opinions.

FluteChick PLATINUM, Jefferson, Oregon
First off, I respect all of your opinions. I compared the Jonas Brothers to Green Day because they were a band I preferred to the Jonas Brothers whose music I personally HAVE listened to since I actually had to write a paper on them (it wouldn't make sense to write something on someone I have never listened to; I am not stupid). I find it a bit unfair that you've accused me of not listening to them. It's fine with me if you listen to them. I was just required to write a comparison essay between two bands who are similar in popularity but completely different. I couldn't very well write an essay on the Sex Pistols to Green Day because they're too similar (except, of course the Sex Pistols suck so freaking bad). No, I am not jealous because they are popular. I cannot think why someone would ever ask me that especially since I don't have a reason to be jealous of them. I don't even have a desire to be popular. I knew I might get thrashed for posting this essay but I didn't think that the replies would be about other's opinions. This is MY essay and replies to these are supposed to be constructive toward what has been written. Again, I respect your opinions, but the fact that Green Day rocks harder than the Jonas Brothers is mine and I'm sticking to my fabulously "washed up band of old guys."

Erika453 said...
first off, i love the jonas brothers! they are not just some cookie-cutter pop band. they're aren't even like the backstreet boys and others. their music isn't even the same! stop being a hater! green day is just a washed up band of old guys from the 90's that won't give up. who even cares about them anymore?

reginalove SILVER, Lorain, Ohio

Why does everyone try to down-size the Jonas Brothers? Ok so what they are on Disney and appeal to a younger fan base. So what? Why hate on them and compare them to Green Day? They are two different bands. Have you actually listened to the Jonas Brother's music? You'd be surprised at how one line in one of their songs actually has a deeper meaning. And about their songs only being relatable to 13 and under, thats not true. plenty of fans are older. Just because they're not all depressing with their music doesn't mean it sucks. Really, stop hating on them and focus on other things good that they do. Green Day is an alright band but seriously, why compare a band full of older thirty-something guys to the Jonas Brothers?I'm tired of everyone trashing them for no reason. Are you jealous because they're very popular now? I bet if they weren't and you didn't see them on everything from pens to bookbags, you wouldn't even write such an article. I'm just saying, don't knock it until you try it.

tkten said...
This is well written and I agree on the Jonas Brothers part but Green Day is losing its touch. They're no longer the band they were in the early 90s. All their new stuff sounds practically the same to American Idiot.

Wolf said...
This is very well wrote, good job in it. I wouldn't exactly call Green Day punk anymore. Dookie and all before it were punk, but everything after is pop rock or alternative. just saying