I refuse to waste my time with stupid, meaningless relationships! No offense to those who do. | Teen Ink

I refuse to waste my time with stupid, meaningless relationships! No offense to those who do.

By Manii123 SILVER, West Paterson, New Jersey
Manii123 SILVER, West Paterson, New Jersey

"Our love is like the wind. I can't see it, but I feel it." -A Walk To Rememeber

Sometimes I wonder. I wonder if everything always has to end up so morbid. Love, happiness, life...it all ends bad. Love, now that's dangerous. I mean, I've never been in love; I'm only a child, but I've seen what it can do. I've witnessed the magic of it, and the danger of it.

I once herd in a movie that people want to find love because it's the closest thing to magic, but I believe that some people just want to feel whole, and that true love is what they might be missing.

Kids my age get to be reckless, stupid, innocent and irresponsible, but what I don't get, is that they all rush. They through the "L" word around like it's just a suggestion or a stupid word that doesn't mean anything. "OH! I Love my Hubby so much," like, come one! Hubby...what is that? We're kids! We don't have hubbies( husbands)! Why would we want to? We get to be free and love holds you down in so many ways. Love is so powerful, that the word is even powerful.

"Oh babe! I love you so much! we're gonna be together forever!" It makes me sick. What fourteen year old wants to spend the rest of there life with there current partner? I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but most fourteen year old kids don't even stay in a relationship for over a month let alone forever! Also, we're all too selfish anyway, including me.

We get to be selfish. To be in a relationship, you have to put the other person before everyone else...including yourself. That means dedicating all your free time and devoting yourself to your partner. What teenager wants to do that? What teenager ever did do that?

I'm sure they're a few who have, but their future's are so limited. They have to worry about going to college, because they don't want to leave their "hubby" or "wifey" behind, they might not even go to college because they think they'll be together forever, and then a week after rejecting college they brake up and then what? What's in their future then? Working at Walt mart?

Why start something so complicated so early if you have your whole life to experience it, and to experience it right? Relationships are not for kids, and fake relationships are annoying and useless; they have no meaning. I want to go to college, and I want to fall in love, but not anytime soon. I refuse to say, " I love you," when I don't mean it, and I refuse to waste my time with stupid, meaningless relationships.

ladytrojan GOLD, Millington, Tennessee
i think i know how u feel. even tho i hav so many friends and so people who love me around me, i still feel so alone sometimes. it trouble me becuz i know there r people out there who r truely alone. but, idk wats wrong wit me. thts y i write. and i make sure no one knows its me who's writing.

Belidama said...
on Feb. 9 2010 at 9:05 am
I agreeee! It really annoys me. I hate it when people my age (16) take relationships sooo seriously. And they think I'm really strange because I haven't been out with anyone or had my first kiss yet. It's not because I haven't at the chance, it's just because I want to wait till I do actually truly love someone and don't, like you say, want a stupid, meaningless "relationship".

ladytrojan GOLD, Millington, Tennessee
u had me sold at the title. i think we're long lost twins. jk. lol. but, i feel the same way, except all my friends call me "cold hearted" for it.

dancewritedream SILVER, S. Dartmouth, Massachusetts

"Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting."

I totally know what you are all saying. I have a friend that's constantly gushing to me about how in love she is. She's fourteen! Even if she is in love

(which she might be, but I don't think so ) I don't really want to here about it! As far as wanting to be in love, thought I've never been in love, yet it seems , no matter how many friends and family members love me, I feel lonely. Is that normal?

ChloeA BRONZE said...
ChloeA BRONZE, Na, Washington

"Whatever the weather, always bring your own sunshine."
Michael J'Deangelo

Wow, That was powerful. You just changed my perspective on love. Yes, we do want to experience it. But it will come on its own.

on Dec. 5 2009 at 12:59 am
Anjelika BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
I understand where you are coming from...but it seems you have time to learn more about the idea of "love". I have learned that when someone truely loves another person, the do not want anything. When there is true love, there is a feeling of wholeness as long as it is not tainted by conflicting thoughts. It doesn't matter when in life it happens, I know a woman who had married the man she dated since her freshman year of high school (she is 31 now).

kissingdawn331 SILVER, Palatine, Illinois

"when your hourglass runs out of sand you can't flip it over and start again."(changes weekly so check next weeks l8er)

tearsinmind....your response broke my heart and i know that you don't want pity...at times i too feel alone in the crowded hallways of my life i know the feeling of a dagger above your head and the weight of the world on your shoulders but never once are you alone...someone's always there and someone somewhere loves you...even if it's not the way you want them to someone loves you...even if you never know.

To, TearsinMind:

If you love your family and they love you back, that's the most powerful love. Love is love. It doesn't need to be romantic, Love is all the same. And I write some pretty morbid stuff too, but it helps me let go of supressing emotions. Maybe with you too? And how can anyone write something happy or about love when they have Edgar Allen Poe stuck in their head? Try reading something happier and Romantic. And the best way to write about love, is to write about the people and things you love. You have to love someone! And write about that person, or those people, and it'll help you get out of the morbid stuff. Not that morbid poetry is bad...=D.

Abel24 GOLD said...
Abel24 GOLD, Alpharetta, Georgia

"Never to suffer would never to have been blessed."
- Edgar Allan Poe

"The death of a beautiful woman, is unquestionably the most poetical topic in the world."

-Edgar Allan Poe

To be honest....Outside of family and family friends, I don't know how it truely feels...to be loved. This is why i am a Gothic writer. Edgar Allen Poe has been keeping me from hurting myself and making me feel bad. Instead of love, I write of death and destruction of the human mind. However that is just because even if I sat down long and hard I would never be able to write about love....because I have never felt someone truely loving me.....(please reply to me if you know how I feel, I kinda feel alone. I would like to find others who feel the same....)

on Nov. 11 2009 at 11:15 am

I was talking about eleven year olds, not highschool students. Now that I look at my article I can see how I personally oppose to some of my points(in a way). But I wrote this article out of anger toward my eleven year old sister who was "dationg" a sixteen year old...and a different guy (mostly around the ages of 14-16) every week...sometimes even days. I was angry with how nieve she was acting and I was mad at how everyone in her school(grade) acted the same way, and (in my eyes) I thought that's how she learned. And yes, I know very well how horrible my spelling is. I have to work on it, and I don't have spell check, not that I can blame my spelling issuses on that in particular.

Jackie said...
It's just a part of growing up. Ever heard of high school sweethearts?

They ARE being kids -- they're just messing around and having a good time. If they throw around the word "love", it's because they can still get away with it -- not like in ten years when the word will hold weight and responsibility.

Like you said: they're kids. Having boyfriends and girlfriends and breaking up and making up is a normal part of their life, and teaches responsibility so that they DON'T act like kids when it comes to a serious relationship.

Lighten up.

Also: learn how to spell.

Joey said...
I agree, the word 'love' is tossed around like it is nothing. I am not saying teenage dating is a bad thing, as it can be pretty enjoyable, but its the fact that kids want to be in 'love' far too quickly.

tennisislovee34 GOLD, Sterling Heights, Michigan

"Every moment of your life, you're writing. Even in your dreams, you're writing. When you walk the halls in this school you meet various people and you write furiously in your head." -Frank McCourt

i agree with your feedbackk! everyone wants love.

you make some very good points. people throw around that word too muchhh, but it's really their fault if they are going to commit at 14 and ruin their future.

I wrote this, because I don't agree with how kids throw away there fun, free time, to go into something as complicated and complex as a "relationship". It dosen't make me sick, it makes me sad. Because they don't even know how easy their lives would be if they just droped he how 1 week relationship bit and be a kid. But it's not my life and I can't make somebody change their mind. So, I wrote this. Not that any of the kids I wanted this to see, would.

tor10jax GOLD said...
tor10jax GOLD, Livingston, New Jersey
I don't hear "hubby" or "wifey" alot but I don't get what's up with relationships at such a young age, either. I think some people might just want drama, but it's not good for focusing. Soooo, perfect opinion article :)

Chloe S. said...
I do agree. And I had no intentions of falling too quickly. But trust me when I tell you that it just happens. I had no idea what love was and I didn't care to find it anytime soon. But just the same I fell, maybe too hard, but I did. Love is the closest thing to magic and once you've had a taste you want so badly to find it again. Even though he broke my heart, I want that feeling. It's like an addiction to pot or alcohol. You just want it. I think that may be why kids hurry in relationships, so that they can find it again. But really what they're feeling isn't love, it's a desire.

i so agree only where i live all you ever see is 12 year olds making out and they say they do it because there in love

It seriously makes me sick...and I know what you mean. They're always like, " I'm in love!" And I'm kinda just snort and rol my eyes cause I'm soo tired of explaining this craziness.

EXACTLY! And whats with the hubby stuff?? Like seriously!