Is a Bill of Rights for Animals Necessary? | Teen Ink

Is a Bill of Rights for Animals Necessary?

October 25, 2016
By Jadah12345678 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Jadah12345678 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Animal activist would like animals to achieve the same rights, most humans hope for. The idea of an Animal Bill of Rights has been a controversial subject for awhile now, but how do we deal with the topic? Points that get brought up argue these animals are deprived of protection, the correct rights, and treatment. Americans are now beginning to speak up about this issue. To take it a step further to protect animals their signing the Animal Bill of Rights, and hope they can collect get one million signatures (Molder, Jennifer).


In these articles, they both bring up different topics, but they both agree in some way that animals need protection. With what was brought to our attention, is it necessary to establish a Bill of Rights for animals? Establishing a Bill of rights may be necessary. However, It is also not necessary to completely stop ourselves from obtaining animal products, such as meat. So, how do we properly handle this topic?


Left with no voice to voice their opinions, we may need to consider a Bill of Rights for these animals. In A Change of Heart about Animals written by Jeremy Rifkin, the author touch bases on important topics such as animal rights. Rifkin makes valid points to show us animals are not so different than us; “They are more like us than we imagined, scientist are finding”(Rifkin, Jeremy). He strongly argues that animals feel the same emotions as us such as pain, stress, affection, excitement and even love. The idea that not only do we share similar emotions, but similar actions as well. Scientist are finding animals also have self awareness like us. Chantek the orangutans, for example, was given a mirror and was able to “groom his teeth and adjust his sunglasses”(Rifkin, Jeremy).


Rifkin brings up the specific study funded by Mcdonald's at Purdue University done on the social behavior of pigs. The study showed us, “that they [pigs’] crave affection and are easily depressed if isolated or denied playtime with each other”(Rifkin, Jeremy). Without the proper attention, it could affect their health, mentally and physically. Due to that, “in Germany, the government is encouraging pig farmers to give each pig 20 seconds of human contact each day and provide them with toys”(Rifkin, Jeremy). It is ironic to be encouraging these farmers to give the pigs toys and interaction time, when some kids in the world don't even achieve that. Some kids today are denied affection, and don’t have the privilege to have any toys to play with.


Allowing animals to have a Bill of Rights would stop animals from being used in cruel and unnecessary punishments. Animal Testing. Most people don’t realize animals feel pain and uncomfort. Also, many fail to notice how animals are just as important as us, humans.


If it is not acceptable to test these product on humans, it should not be acceptable to to test dangerous products on our furry friends; “Although humans often benefit from successful animal research, the pain, the suffering, and the deaths of animals are not worth the possible human benefits”(Dunnuck, Heather).


A possible solution we should consider is regulations for these companies and think about  the real reasoning we are taking these animals away from their families. I believe there is a right way to do it. We need to find a happy medium, so that humans and animals are both equally treated fairly


Little protection is given to the animals stuck in factories and companies. They are cruelly abused, punished, and treated like objects instead of living beings. Amusement parks that put these huge animals in tiny tanks, such as Sea World, needs to stop providing these type of shows. These shows are purely put on based on our selfish want for entertainment. Our land animals, monkeys, rabbits, and mice, are suffering to provide us with the everyday products we decide to use (Molder, Jennifer). We need to enforce better laws that humans will need to follow. There needs to be justice for these animals. However, I don't think it’s necessary to create a Bill of Rights for animals, there needs to be a change done.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece for an english class.