GMOs Benefits | Teen Ink

GMOs Benefits

By KobeHill BRONZE, Glenpool, Ok, Oklahoma
KobeHill BRONZE, Glenpool, Ok, Oklahoma

Don’t you want better tasting fruits and vegetables. This could happen if GMO’s are used in the agricultural market, they would increase the quality of food and farmers would be much more efficient. This would also mean less use of herbicides and pesticides. The problem is though that farmers are not switching over to GMO’s. It could be because people think that GMO's are unsafe or bad in other ways. But they are good because they improve the quality and nutrition of food, They are also eco friendly and use less herbicides and pesticides. Plus they allow farmers to be more efficient and use all the land that they own.

First of all GMO’s improve the quality and the nutrition of food. Research paper from the university of california said that “GMO’s improve the texture and flavor of the food(nuffield bioethics) This shows that GMO’s do provide better flavor.The paper also said that GMO’s foods provide more nutritional value than a regular crop that is grown. This proves the point that GMO foods do have more nutritional value. A example of better quality would be the flavr savr tomato in tomato that is GM can ripen longer without going bad this leads to the tomato having better flavor and texture. Last of all this shows that there is a situation that proves GM foods have better quality.

Secondly GMO’s use less herbicides and pesticides when growing. And are more eco friendly. Around Half of the cotton grown in China 2002 was genetically modified to produce a liquid  that is poisonous to the cotton bollworm and successfully protected the plant from harm(nuffield bioethics). All together this showed that pesticide used on plants can worked if used in GM plants. A second piece of evidence would be that in the same year (2002) soybeans grown in Argentina were genetically modified with herbicide in them which reduced the farmers work and protected the plant because it killed the weeds(nuffield bioethics). This piece of evidence shows that herbicides can be used in GMO’ s and work as well as regular herbicide on plants Last of all expert Janelle Vaesa says “ That GM plants use and conserve more water and energy. This shows the eco friendly side of the reason.

GMO’s would help farmers be more efficient .Expert Janelle Vaesa says “ that a positive of GMO’s is that farmers would be more productive. If farmers are more productive than their more efficient. A second piece of evidence ids that  gene from a grey mangrove plant and put it into a tobacco plant which made it be able to grow in salt(benifits,11). This shows that even of some of the farmers land is not fertile he could get a GMO that could grow in ot. And a last piece of evidence is that a gene taken from a plant which can survive water stress over long periods of time was put into rice this allows it to survive long droughts(nuffield bioethics). Last of all this shows that if there is bad climate for a certain crop then a GM crop would still be able the grow in i which would help farmers grow crops.

On the other hand though some people might say That they herbicides and pesticides inside the plant are bad for you. But even on normal plants farmers put herbicide and pesticide in them. Or somebody might say that they cost  to much money to buy. Well if all farmers started using them then there price would go down.

All in all GMO’s quality of food and and its eficientes could and should be in the agricultural market. Overall the quality and nutrition of food are much better when they are GM foods. GM foods also use less herbicides and pesticides and they are eco friendly. Also efficient on the farm would be increased if people started using GMO’s. In conclusion GMO’s are a good thing that should be used on farms and in the agricultural market.

I was inspired to write thid because I was amazed that this was posible.