Veganism | Teen Ink

Veganism

Veganism: an impossible diet enforced by cults...or so I thought. Who knew that my initial definition of the term would change so much? When my friend first introduced me to veganism six months ago, I was perplexed because I only had a faint perception of the concept. I was intrigued by the underlying reason of her actions and researched about this obscure lifestyle. I discovered that vegans take up 2.5% of the world population but impacts it tremendously. From the reduction of gas emissions to the preservation of animal lives, vegans benefit the world by compassionately living. Intrigued, I immersed myself in the veganism world by watching Youtube videos and surfing websites. One particular documentary that stood out to me was Cowspiracy, which discussed the effects of animal agriculture and the shocking life of farm animals. Gone were the images of pleasantly adorable animals in my head--instead, fearful faces crammed into tiny metal cages replaced them. Their pain resonated with me as I imagined my pet dog’s face among them. Struck with horror and newfound determination, I vowed to cut out meat products and constructed a plan to transition to first being a pescaterian, then vegeterian, and finally vegan.

After impulsively adapting to this lifestyle, it was particularly difficult explaining my diet at social events. Regarding food, people avoided vegan dishes with the belief that it was not “real food.” I found it unbelievable that people couldn’t understand the benefits of my lifestyle, but then I remembered that I used to be that way. Soon, the motto “lead by example” grew to define me. I brought homemade vegan dishes to potlucks, and through tasting my dishes, people were surprised when their preconceptions of vegan food were contradicted. I am proud when I share my lifestyle with others and help broaden their understanding of veganism, even if they don’t decide to become vegan themselves.

In hopes of expanding outreach, I donate to the organization that initially exposed the truth to me through their pamphlets--Vegan Outreach.  Knowing how the vegan ethic can benefit humans, free nonhuman animals, and has the potential to help save the planet, I have no qualms about telling anyone who will listen about the virtues of veganism.

As a human being, I believe I have a moral obligation to actively make a choice that affects those beyond myself. I finally have a sense of peace because my morals align with my actions. This lifestyle has opened my eyes to the impact I have on the world. I find myself actively pursuing and becoming more open-minded to foreign ideas because I have found passion and truth in a lifestyle I never believed I would be a part of. I strongly believe in everything about the ethics of veganism and am extremely passionate about spreading the word. I am just one small change in the world, but I know my actions will influence others. Going vegan has been by far one of the most rewarding but challenging experiences.