Climate change: what can we do today | Teen Ink

Climate change: what can we do today MAG

October 7, 2023
By Matthew2024 BRONZE, Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Matthew2024 BRONZE, Lawrenceville, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Melting glaciers, rising sea levels, and increasing frequency and severity of extreme weather all seem to converge on us simultaneously. On average, about 6,800 natural disasters happen every year worldwide. But what can we do today to protect our homes and families?

As a teen, I can do my part by recycling, conserving energy, and advocating for change. But is it enough? Will it make a difference? As countries like China pollute at a higher rate than ever before, the U.S. closes cleaner, more efficient energy sources. Precious minerals are being mined by questionable techniques in South Africa to produce lithium batteries for electric vehicles. And people are building more and larger homes in the path of storms and wildfires.

What can we do today to help protect our homes and families against some of the effects of climate change while we work to slow its progress?

As teens, we can help raise awareness and educate others who have come ahead of them about the importance of mitigation and resiliency. Yes, we all want to build a vacation home on the beach, but is this really the best place as weather patterns are changing and the severity is increasing? Or how about that house on the river that floods regularly? We are putting people right in harm’s way. We can advocate for people to build in safer areas.

With the population shifting to southern and coastal states that are more prone to severe weather, building codes, stronger materials, and resilient building practices are the next best things to build in better areas. Florida has proven this is effective as damage, even in the worst storms, has been reduced, and people and their homes are surviving in areas destroyed in the past with fewer storms. We can help educate our parents and local governments on the importance of mitigation and building resilience efforts by speaking at events and petitions.

8 Simple Things YOU Can Do Today

Here are eight simple, very inexpensive things you can do to help your family better protect your home:

1.  Clean gutters and storm drains to avoid water entering your home during severe rain.

2.  Before a storm, remove outdoor furniture and items that could be blown through windows and allow wind to take off roofs and destroy entire homes.

3.  Clear brush and shrubs to create a protective barrier around your home against wildfires.

4.  Trim trees that can break off and become a hazard.

5.  Check sump pumps to avoid flooding your basement.

6.  Stack sandbags in flood-prone areas

7.  Set up security cameras and sensors to monitor your home to act quickly if a hazard arises.

8.  Learn how to turn off utilities to prevent fires, flooding, and gas leaks.

Let’s all do our part to combat climate change and natural disasters by better making our homes more resilient today to keep your family safe!