Opinion on environmental action | Teen Ink

Opinion on environmental action

Written to the City of Tuscaloosa

Citizens of the world, apply this to yourselves.

To whom this may concern,

I am a highschooler, attending a virtual academy from my home in Tuscaloosa. Ever since the Covid-19 pandemic, I have grown keenly aware of the lack of environmental awareness displayed by city practices. For the past three years, I have taught myself about the natural world in our area of Tuscaloosa, and as my knowledge and awe at our city and county’s amazing biodiversity increases, my shock at how we treat this gift expands. Let me provide a few examples.

First, city parks, and yard plantings. Of the 4296 plant species found in our state, the citizens of Tuscaloosa consistently plant species of little to no merit from other countries. For example, Bradford pear, a stinky tree that poses a major hazard due to its structural instability, and Nandina, a bush containing cyanide laced berries known to kill birds and pets and very dangerous to curious children. Other examples include Chinese Privet, Japanese Honeysuckle, and Nandina. While some might argue that these plants are too beautiful to remove, all these plants have harmful effects on the environment, either by poisoning native wildlife, or simply choking it out when they frequently escape into the wild.

Another major problem I see in our county is the lack of resources teaching to teach us and allow us to act in the best interest of the environment. While I was in public schooling, there were no programs dedicated to local conservation. Some may say, there are already environmental education classes, but these were limited to broad national standards of teaching children how to recycle, save the rainforests, and reduce their carbon footprint. While these are good things, they are such huge concepts that, while they apply to everyone, are so conceptually huge that kids become bored and overwhelmed. This focus on broad global issues also distracts us from personal problems close to home. I suggest we fix this problem by teaching environmental classes about local biodiversity, encourage students to do projects with local conservation impact, form naturalist clubs at schools, and encourage the building of more city parks, or beginning a city nature preserve program. These ideas would bolster both public knowledge, and local biodiversity.

Lastly, as I have become more connected with the small local naturalist community, I have become aware of the very harmful effects of city development. I understand that a growing city like Tuscaloosa needs to expand, however, it seems like the groups who do so do not consider their environmental impact. Members of local clubs have said that they want to tell developers where rare plants and animals are so that they are not developed, but do not speak up for fear these large corporations will clear the area before any regulations can affect them. This is actively happening to possibly the world’s largest Alabama Snow wreath colonies, which is being paved over for a new road as I write this article. Its only hope is that the company that is building does not notice it or doesn’t destroy all the plants by accident. This dilemma is unfortunate but has some possible solutions. First, developers could be required to contact naturalist societies, or professional conservationists before development to see what can be saved. Another solution is a native plant salvage society that goes into areas before development to dig up and pot plants for preservation and propagation. This is at least a partial solution to the problem.

I realize that my goals are broad and lofty, but I do think that they would have a positive impact on our community.

Thank you for considering my submission.

Respectfully,

Anonymous

I am a high school student in Alabama. I have had a natural love for the outdoors since I was younger, and recently have begun to act on it by participating in local native plant and bird clubs, and conducting citizen science surveys in my area. I Have participated in multiple environmental themed competitions and competed on a national level. I am writing this article as an editorial piece to alert the largely unaware city officials of environmental issues our area and the world face.