I don't like Lady Gaga. | Teen Ink

I don't like Lady Gaga.

By betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California

"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin." - Leonard Cohen

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

AmyLee-FTW said...
AmyLee-FTW, Derp, Arizona
Exactly, if I tell you what you can and can't do and I can't title what you do as "this" or "that".

Mjjames2016 BRONZE, Encinitas, California

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible"

Ha I can scribble down a bad representation of a duck and call it amazing art.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no one can tell me its not art.

AmyLee-FTW said...
AmyLee-FTW, Derp, Arizona
I completly agree. Music is basically sound, it doesn't have to sound one way or another.

Bookwizard PLATINUM, Watertown, New York

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back it was always yours, if it doesn't it never was.

She is not hating. She is not even lying. If you look how Lady Gaga looked when she first started out and then look at her now, she is a completly different person. I'm not say ing the change was bad but it's very sad when people change them selfs to become more famous.

I agree with you very much. You're completly correct. She's changing herself and image for everyone else and that's not cool. I never even thought about it but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Foreverlove13 SILVER, Wasilla, Alaska

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, it's measured by how many moments take your breath away.

She's not hatin, she is simply putting out her opinion and that how sad it is that some people would completely change who they are just to get their name out there. It's sad that someone would throw away who they are for fame and fortune, I'm not saying just Gaga has done it, but many other famous people as well. No need to hate on this persons article when they have good points to be made.

Foreverlove13 SILVER, Wasilla, Alaska

on Dec. 20 2011 at 10:03 am
Celeste_N. SILVER, Balch Springs, Texas

Your just mad that your not a rainbow unicorn with ninja monkeys that can talk to gummy bears(:

Yall are just haters!!!! Yall dont know what she's been through all her life!! Just because she's different from other singers yall like doesnt mean you can judge her because of what she has become!!! She's a true inspiration...she doesnt care what she looks like or anything!! Yall are haters and just plain bullies!!! i hate this written work and all the people who don't like Lady GaGa!!! Selfish people dont always get what they want!!

Music isnt supposed to be anything,  much like writing.

I think you did an amzing  job writing this article, I also agree that im not a fan of her music but as far as her outrageous costumes and theatrical performances go your wrong. I am completly shocked that, you, as a writer, would feel that way.  She is not getting attention but pushing limits, creating something that wasnt there before.  I said before I dont care for music but she should be looked up to for being different, not jut an average being.  She doesnt care that a sixteen year old american girl doesnt like the way she is dressed and thats why I think we should praise her.

shadow song said...
i think you put it perfectly.Music is meant to be beautiful,right?cultural,not insane.not menial.inspirational.

ekaterinahansing, San Antonio, Texas

Being bored is a choice. Choose not to.

Air high five! You go kid! You write with creditable passion. I'm with you all the way!!

Amekage said...
on Dec. 16 2011 at 4:23 am
This was article was very well written. I'm glad you decided to post this, not neccessarily because I agree with it (which I do), but because it shows that you have some guts. From all the previous comments, it looks like you've stepped on toes, but isn't that what this style of writing is about? Getting your point out there, whether people agree with you or not is the soul of this "genre". Kudos on the amazing article.

Tesha17 BRONZE said...
Tesha17 BRONZE, Roy, Utah

"Can't never did anything."
"When life gives you lemons, squirt juice in your enemies eye."
"ya, i try. Doesn't always work, but i do try."

wow. you really caught everything didn't you? i really like the artical, and though i like her songs i agree she might be a little desprate for attention. who walks around in a dress of meat? that's gross!

laura28772 said...
laura28772, Gore, Other
This is really interesting, although i dont agree with some points it is interesting to see other's point of view and how they see things. Well done for speaking your mind! :)

shoxie95 BRONZE, Charlotte, Michigan
Great job! I honestly thought I was the only teenage girl that felt this way! You put everything into words in a way I never could! Again, great job!

Neytiri GOLD said...
Neytiri GOLD, Hilo, Hawaii

Live as if you'll die today. Dream as if you'll live forever.

Oh my God. I thought I was the only person (female) who had this opinion on this particular woman. I totally agree with you girl! I think she is far too over the top and is arrogant , hypocritical and extremely provocative. Very good article and I am totally agreeing with you. Well done! x

nik123 said...
i totally disagree with i am sorry but i do she does it is because she had a tough life when she was little and no matter how she dresses she always has fans.

Tcoolgirl BRONZE, San Tan Valley, Arizona

"Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch you words, they become actions. Watch your actions, they become you. Watch yourself, you affect others."

I really like this and agree with you. :) your article is really well written