I don't like Lady Gaga. | Teen Ink

I don't like Lady Gaga.

By betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California

"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin." - Leonard Cohen

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

You say she was such a "normal" girl before, but did you consider that she was always Gaga underneath, yet she didn't have the means to create such elaborate costumes? I don't think she "changed" into what she is now; she was always Lady G, but now she has the fame and money to pull off the persona.

But, yes, the Bowie incarnate would be appreciated.

This whole thing about doing something new and shocking in music is hardly new. There's a genre called Shock Rock which is rock music combined with elements meant to shock the viewers, it may be lyrics or even live performances. Alice Cooper is one of the original shock rockers and it has worked well for him.

I understand Gaga's almost "need" to been in certain types of clothing, I myself feel uncomfortable in "normal" clothing and dress in a way that stands out. I like doing this but I supposed you'd put my emphasis on clothing as unhealthy.

In today's industry, you need a hook to stand out from the crowd. Gaga has done that through her image, it helped her gain a musical career. Should we look at it as terrible that she didn't get any attention without this? No. There are a lot of people who want to be famous yet do not make it because they do not stand out. Gaga understood that so she made herself stand out.

You're also looking too far into what you quoted whilst missing the obvious. Perhaps she likes wearing high heels and such? Perhaps she hates being seen in anything else. Is that such a terrible thing? Not wanting to be seen in clothing you dislike?

I quite like how she approaches doing stuff for her art, it shows a refreshing commitment towards it that perhaps many forget.

I also believe that in saying she is passionate about new frontiers in her art, that her art is the image. Micheal Jackson was going to do a tour before he died. He would have lip-synced but was going to perform all the dances. That was his art. Not the lyrics, nor the song, but the performance he put on.

I'm sorry, but this whole article is massively biased towards your point whilst barely touching upon other sides of the argument, perhaps to the extent of overlooking the obvious.

the1cellist said...
Issue is, where do you draw your line of what is acceptable show and not in the music industry? There have been lots of performers who have been either loud personalities or dressed as such that have contributed to music profoundly. (Elvis, Kiss, Elton John, Joan Jett) Would you consider all of these to be skin-deep attempts at non-conformity? A stage persona is supposed to be one's face to the fans. That's why they exist. Scrutinizing that in order to make judgments about someone's sincerity is a little hasty.

im really amazed by this post, i was shocked when she stole the spotlight for her sister at her sisters graduation but what your saying makes somuch sense and unveils a truth about gaga, despite being percieved as an incarnation of individuality, that thing we see isnt really a person, it is a body in costume, id like to see lady gaga, as the person she is, going by her real name, using an untampered voice and wearing normal clothes...

SomethingLikeFire BRONZE, Mchenry, Illinois
1 article 1 photo 47 comments

"Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?" -
-- The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

if all Lady Gaga wants is to be different, then i think you can do that without leading thousands of people on thinking that you have to act like something out of a horror film to do just that. it dosent take much to stand out. even just having good music will make you famous. you dont need glitter, rhinstones, ans whatever else she has on everything she owns.

I agree with your statment here, I actually always thinked almost same way as you do... my ex girlfriend was crazy about her songs, though I never liked it, but well I guess it shows when she betrayed me and went after other guys and went back to her ex boyfriend who used to talk bad so bad lol, that she loves the messages that lady gaga sends on her songs and makes it like Lady Gaga is someone to be followed, I dont have anything agaist Lady Gaga, I know lots of people would crucify me for saying that I dont like her songs and the messages of her songs, but I think lots of people agree with me and there is a plausible argument for that with very good based facts, I think she is cute, though looks for me doesnt matter so much and I think she changed her looks into someone completly diferent just to get attention from lots of the audience of now days, and then the themes of her music, its what a lot of people want to listen about, hearing about sex and money, and like that makes teenagers and other people, feel like they are even more right to relly on sex and make what they want even more, even if turns society worse than already is, thats my opinion lol, maybe she is a good person and tries to make something for the common good too, but the way she is trying to do it I think its wrong, but giving me examples she helps Haiti and so on, like she done that lots of others also did, that doesnt always makes someone a good person or a role model to follow, everyone should be respected, but there is values in life that should also be respected that lots of people dont respect this days anymore, so well that was my statment, liked your argument there, take care, Alex.

MarinaOreo GOLD, King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

"Your soul is the whole world" -Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

I understand. Thanks for clearing it up :)

askdmdofpsdo GOLD, Beverley, Other
you make some really good points and, although i think her music is catchy, i don't agree with some of her lyrics. there are a lot of young people who listen to her songs and take in the lyrics and use her as a role model. some people don't even realise that they her lyrics influenceing them to act or speak in a certain way. i like her in the sense that she has the confidence to stand out and experiment with fashion and change her style, but i dont agree with her lyrics and some of her music videos.

on Apr. 14 2010 at 3:11 am

I'm not rejecting Lady Gaga, the person. I'm rejecting the persona, the style, the phenomenon. I don't want to be a part of a strange wave of fascination with someone who just puts on a show. 

One of my biggest problems with her is not that she likes clothes or makeup, but that she puts too much of an emphasis on it. It consumes her. I don't like that message, and I don't like how it makes me feel, like I'm someone easily distracted by shiny objects. 

I think some of her songs are contagious and fun, but unlike someone like David Bowie (a similar, outrageously fun artist that I ADORE), there isn't any substance in them. I admire that she writes her own songs in a music industry with scores of professional song writers who crank out number one hits like machines, but I think if she put more of her ideals and her philosophy into them, they would mean a lot more. 

Thanks for the polite comment though. I have many friends who share your opinion- trust me, you're not alone in disagreeing with me. 

Devi1sAdvocate SILVER, West Branch, Iowa
Good point.

You make a good biased argument, but she is expressing herself. If that's how she expresses herself, then so be it. Maybe she likes dressing up like that. I do like some of her songs and I think she has made a great influence on pop music. I understand that you're annoyed with her but if she doesn't want to be caught in sweatpants, then so what. She is saying that it is okay to be whoever and she's demonstrating that in her performances and music. She's trying to get a message of acceptance out by saying that. Plus, lots of singers and bands love their fans! You can't judge her for wanting to make them happy. I mean of course you can judge; I'm not trying to start a fight, but it just seems like she didn't do anything and I don't know how she is any different from any other performer (except for her outrageous outfits.) But the world isn't perfect, we should be accepting of everyone even if they act like Lady Gaga.