United States of Tobacco | Teen Ink

United States of Tobacco

By aspiringwriterAD SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
aspiringwriterAD SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

They say smoking is bad, right? They show commercials on TV showing a guy with a hole in his throat. They tell us smoking causes high risk of strokes, cancer, heart disease,emphysema and all. It can shorten your life by 10 years or more. So then why don't they stop businesses from selling cigarettes. You may be wondering who they is. They is the government. The government regulates businesses and laws. If its so bad then why don't they ban it completely, instead of banning in certain places like parks. If they don't, then the people smoking won't stop. It's not that I really care about their health. It's the fact that I care about mines and my lungs and the unborn babies that have no say if their pregnant moms smoke or not. But, of course, the government won't ban it completely. There's an economic standpoint on this. There are a lot of tobacco farmers and companies that would be greatly hurt by this and most tobacco companies support local politicians and government groups. So the fear of losing financial and political support is what keeps the government from banning tobacco. The tobacco industry is a billion dollar industry. The habit of smoking can cost a smoker thousands of dollars a year. As long as people keep buying from them, they will stay in business. Smokers need to realize how it not only hurts them but others and they probably won't realize until they're on their death bed. I just have to applaud those who have stopped smoking and learned the perils of it.

I hate when people smoke and I am right behind them breathing that same air in. It's kind of funny though because it usually happens when I'm with my friend and we cough really loud trying to let the smoker know we're not ready to get sick over second hand smoke. But anyway I've always wondered why the government just doesn't ban smoking completely and I think I've figured it out

onedirectionlover GOLD, Hampton, Virginia, Virginia
You're right, they should ban it altogeher, but then the government couldn't tax it. Like 100 years ago or more they banned beer and other alcohole but then the government was losing money so they "unbanned" it.

ambnyc SILVER said...
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

Style and grammar needs work, but the article makes an interesting point.

The government can't ban smoking altogether for economic reasons, as you said. And because they simply cannot regulate businesses and free will that harshly.