underage drinking is not allowed | Teen Ink

underage drinking is not allowed

April 19, 2010
By Anonymous

In the United States (U.S) the legal drinking age is 21. This means that those under the age of 21 cannot buy or drink alcoholic beverages. In many cases teenagers do not seem to obey that law. Teenagers think that when drinking alcohol it will make them look "cool" in front of their friends. When really it makes them appear totally stupid! This brings me to my point, I think that underage drinking brings numerous of negative consequences for teenagers like behaving in ways they will later regret, getting into unwanted arguments, and getting into a car accident.

All teenagers want to do is have fun and party with friends. Everyone knows that being young is all about living life to the fullest. There are teens that think the way of enjoying life is to party, but not all party the safe and fun way. When they party they like to consume alcohol beverages to make the night more enjoyable for themselves. Do you think that is a good way for a teen to enjoy a night? I sure don't believe that it is because that can really mess up and damage brain cells. Youngsters don't have the same capacity to hold as much alcohol in their system as an adult does. By this, not many young people can control how much they take in. That leads them to black-out which means you do not remember what happened. This is common within teens, they drink a lot to where it comes to a point that they are not aware of what they are doing. They do not behave like themselves and end up doing things they will regret later. Drinking at a young age is not safe at all. Many terrible things can happen for example car accidents are the most common when people drink and drive. That is never good news for the families.

One sip leads to a drink, a drink leads to two and two drinks lead to three and soon it turns into more than a body can take. Teens don't always control their drinking so then they get out of hand. Once they start the alcohol takes over them. It’s like the passenger taken full control over the steering wheel. Eventually some teens are not aware of what is going on around them, then some end up in fights or arguments that bring nothing good. I personally have seen it happen and it’s ridiculous how they act. Teenagers need to be more responsible of their own actions and think about what they are getting themselves into. That’s why I believe that drinking age should be 21 years therefore underage drinking is wrong because teens are not responsible enough nor is it safe for them.