Alcohol Abuse | Teen Ink

Alcohol Abuse

By lo6355_ BRONZE, Hong Kong, Other
lo6355_ BRONZE, Hong Kong, Other

In this article, I would like to talk about the impact of alcohol and drugs on youth and the social justice issues regarding this. 

I have realised in society nowadays, alcohol and drugs are major issues in society, especially among teen groups, if we look at it from a youth perspective. To fit in and be a part of a social group there is a lot of pressure put on children to use alcohol and drugs to have fun. A desire to fit in can push teens to make the wrong choices. Peer pressure is one of the biggest reasons why teenagers choose to drink alcohol. Also, as a teenager, I always feel like I am mature enough to cope with my own problems, and I have all the answers. It is normal to feel this way in our age, some teenagers may think that drinking alcohol is the way to solve problems and also they can drink alcohol without short term or long term consequences. But is this it?

You may ask, "why should I know about this problem? I won't get in jail for drinking alcohol." Yes, of course, you won't. The issue is not only that it is illegal to be drinking under the age of 18, but also the issue of all the health issues behind drinking. Youths are increasing the risk of many long-term physical and emotional impacts for the rest of their lives. Most importantly, a majority of people are treating alcohol as a "tool" to relieve stress and negative emotions. In this article, I would like to talk about the negative impacts of alcohol and also what could be done to relieve stress, other than chemicals.

Here are some general facts about alcohol abuse among teenagers:
- Alcohol is the drug of choice among youths
- Each year, approximately 5000 young people under the age of 21 die as a result of underage drinking
- Alcohol abuse causes things such as binge drinking, drink driving, and unsafe sex

Short term effects of alcohol and drugs include:
-Hangovers
-Reduced coordination
-Unintentional injuries such as car crash, falls, burns, drowning
-Potential injuries from firearms and sexual assault
-Blurred visions
-Headaches

Long term effects of alcohol and drugs:
-Increased risk of death and injury
-Mental health issues may arise
-Sexual health issues may arise
-Social wellbeing changes – behavior change
-Brain damage
-Addiction and binge drinking
-Illnesses, etc.

The above has mentioned some negative impacts to the teenage body of youth alcohol drinking. I would also like to mention another thing is that our teenage mind could be affected by different emotions and hormones. When we are facing different emotions that we couldn’t solve, we may think alcohol is the answer to numbing those feelings of depression as a tool to relieve our emotions. I have also understood that drinking alcohol could let us relax for a short time but consistently doing this will cause a variety of short term, and long term consequences.

So, here are some simple ways to relieve negative emotions other than turning to alcohol or other chemicals:
- Exercise. Exercise is one of the most important things you can do to combat stress.
- Light a candle. Using essential oils or burning a scented candle may help reduce your feelings of stress and anxiety.
- Listen to soothing music. Listening to music can have a very relaxing effect on the body.
- Spend time with your pet. Having a pet may help reduce stress and improve your mood.
- Talk to friends or family.

I hope you have found the above ideas useful for yourself, your family, and/or your friends. Reducing youth alcohol abuse is a collective responsibility and we all should take part. Last but not least, you can always approach your parents, friends, teachers, and social workers to seek help and advice when you’re not feeling at your best or feeling stressed. 

My name is Joey. I have realized that alcohol usage problems among teens have been common nowadays and I really want to raise awareness about this to the public.