Soccer Inequality Deserves a Red Card: Men's and Women's Soccer | Teen Ink

Soccer Inequality Deserves a Red Card: Men's and Women's Soccer

By SophiePelletier BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
SophiePelletier BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Too many people undervalue what they are and overvalue what they aren't"-Unknown

Every year, I visit Modell’s Sporting Goods to buy cleats for the upcoming soccer season. On my most recent trip, I walked over to the wall which held over 20 pairs of different cleats. They ranged from galaxy prints, to bright orange and yellow, to pink and purple. I looked at a neon yellow pair that I really liked, but then realized they were labeled with a blue sign saying “MENS.” I took a step back. To my surprise, the majority of the cleats on this wall were labeled with the blue “MENS” sign. Off to the side, I spotted a small group of only five pairs that were labeled with a red “WOMENS” sign. Most of those were purple or pink. None of them interested me. I told my mom that I couldn’t find a pair that I liked. She responded by pointing at the wall of mostly men’s cleats and saying: “Look at all of these!”
“They are all men’s.”
“So? Why not buy one of them?”
“I shouldn’t have to.”

As I’ve grown older I have become aware that there is a difference between rights for men and women. Being a soccer player, I have realized the unfair difference between the men’s and women’s side of the sport. Men have bigger stadiums, higher salaries, and more attention from media. It is unfair that there continues to be sexism and discrimination even when the men and the women are playing the same sport, at the same level of professionalism. Women still receive fewer benefits and never hold the spotlight so often directed at male players. This discriminatory contrast between men's and women's soccer is an ongoing conflict and needs to be resolved.

One of the most prominent issues regarding this conflict is the range between men’s and women’s salaries. According to Cheryl Bailey, the league executive director, “the players' salaries within the NWSL (National Women Soccer League) will range from $6,000 - $30,000” (SB Nation). Now compare that number to the salary of a player on a men’s team. The New England Revolution's 18 year old, Diego Fagundez plays forward for the Revolution. His salary is $99,996.00 (MLS Players Union). Even today, a male soccer player receives between $60,000- $80,000 more than a female player. How is that fair?

“Today, feminists across the country will bemoan the fact that women still earn something around 77% of what men do” (FreedomWorks) By making a change in this sport, we can easily spark change in universal gender inequality. One step at a time, we will be able to mend the unfair distinctions between not only the two genders in soccer but also, correct many other disparities involving injustice towards women.

Comparisons between a men’s team stadium and a women’s team stadium reveal shocking distinctions. For the past couple seasons, the Boston Breakers competed at Dilboy Stadium in Somerville, MA, where few concessions are sold, no bright lights or music fill the arena, no big screens flash in your face, and the stadium only holds 2,500 seats. Fortunately, as of 2014 they are now playing at Harvard Stadium which holds 30,323 seats and sells more concessions. A big improvement. On the contrary, The New England Revolution contend at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, MA. There, they have exactly what the Breakers don’t. Loud speakers echo through the immense, multi-floored construction. Beaming lights illuminate the extensive field. At every turn, there is a salesman alluring you to buy their products. The arena is lined with stores: both for Revolution apparell and comestibles. And here’s the most surprising part: Gillette Stadium holds 68,756 seats. These disparities are appalling. It upsets me that this sexism still continues. Not only that, but because I am a woman, I am presented with less appreciation when playing a sport that I am devoted to and love as much as any man playing the sport.

There is the possibility that men’s soccer may simply be more popular than women’s. That fans may just enjoy men’s soccer more and it has nothing to do with discrimination or sexism. Then of course there’s the money. Men’s soccer is more popular, so it makes more money, giving the male players more resources. When women make less money, they receive less benefits. However, the preferences of fans shouldn’t affect a player's salary. No matter how many fans are screaming in the stadiums, women deserve equal pay. In addition to that, maybe if women were presented with more resources and benefits, they would receive more attention, make more money and earn the respect and equality o that they deserve.

This difference between men’s and women’s soccer is an ongoing discrepancy. But here are some things we can do. In general, ensure that people are aware of this injustice. If people know that there continues to be this inequality, then they will act on it. Along with that, If TV stations broadcast women’s games more often, it would draw attention to the women’s side of the sport. Finally, both the soccer leagues and the general public need to resolve the endless struggle for equal pay for women. If we do this, there will be noticeable improvements toward the equality of the sport.

We can't let disparities between the two genders still happen today. I hope that one day the sport that I adore will display gender equality. That if a girl playing soccer has a dream of becoming the best, she can achieve the same status as a boy with the same desire. That women can, one day, receive the equality and rights that they deserve. I hope that one day, there will be the same number of cleats on that wall at Modell’s.

ernie said...
Dear Ms. Pelletier, I'm afraid that your logic is faulty. Why is it unjust that men's soccer players are paid more than women's soccer players, when men's soccer is far more popular? The total Boston Breakers home attendance in 2014 was under 30,000. The New England Revolution drew more than that for a single game, and around 320,000 home fans for the season (not including playoffs). This is despite the fact that Breakers tickets are about twice as expensive. In other words, ignoring TV revenue (which I suspect is even more lopsided), the Breakers generated 20 times as much revenue as the Revolution. If you were to achieve your goal of forcing the Breakers to pay as much as the Revolution, the Breakers would simply be forced out of business. Would that really benefit your cause? You do not insist that all players on the Breakers should be paid equally, so presumably there is nothing wrong with paying players according to their ability. Alas, there is no player on the Breakers that is close to good enough to earning a spot on the Revolution. You should devote your talent and energy to achieving equal pay for *equal* work.

sunshine_3223 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Because, our limbic system is craving for rewards, pleasure, acceptance and expansion through mind."

I really like your opinion piece. I feel you put alot of though into. Good job : - >

Deda. BRONZE said...
Deda. BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." -Elbert Hubbard
I have a lot of favorite quotes, but I don't have enough space to write them all here.
And I just don't know..... so yeah. PEACE DUDES.

Yay Sophles!!! :) Great job, very interesting love it dudee

Marina P. said...
Great job Sophster!!! Super super good opinion piece!!!! ily