Same love | Teen Ink

Same love

By KaitlynnDianna BRONZE, Saraland, Alabama
KaitlynnDianna BRONZE, Saraland, Alabama
3 articles 1 photo 1 comment

16 year old boy sits in the corner of his room; his parents have just gone to sleep. He holds a gun, crying in hisjacket to muffle his loud sobs. He takes out his phone and checks his Facebook ,seeing the word “fag” written by people
he once called friends. He whispers,“I’m sorry”, so quietly he could barely
even make out the softly spoken words. A loud ‘bang’ can be heard all through the neighborhood and the boy’s parents awake with terrified expressions on
their faces. They run to their son’s room, and loud painful crying escapes
the mother’s mouth, looking around theroom, you find the boy’s brain scattered throughout the room and staining the once white walls. A piece of paper is
clamped tightly in the boy’s hand, a piece of paper that reads, “I’m sorry for being who I am.”

The legalization of gay marriagehas been argued since 1924, the
purpose of marriage is to tie two souls together for eternity. People say love is
all that matters in a marriage, if that was true people would be able to marry whom they love without being judged,
or denied of marriage. It does not change, no matter the gender. The time has finally come to legalize same-sex marriage in the United States. One of the main reasons for same-sex
marriage illegalization is the factor of religion. Same sex-marriage may be considered a sin in the Bible, but the Bible may not be some people's beliefs. The argument that traditional marriage will be weakened and/or completely destroyed isn’t strong enough because with divorce, polygamy, blended families and cohabitation, it is already weakened. There are many arguments against Traditional marriages and people who don’t believe in it, but that doesn’t mean people can’t have these marriages, so the same should be true of same sex marriages

The First Amendment of the United States Constitution protects the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference. Religious people have the freedom to express their religion so why is it that people of different sexual
orientations are not allowed to express themselves in the highest regard, Marriage.
The Declaration of Independence states that; “We hold these truths to be
self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their
Creator with certain unalienable rights.”
this was written over two-hundred years ago, and even then, the people
believed in equality. All men are created equal, and therefore there should be no
discrimination. History shows the discrimination of African-Americans and how our country has gotten better regarding racism, but now there is a new form of discrimination that is becoming more evident. This form of discrimination is towards those of different sexual orientations, such as
gay, lesbian, or bisexual. Many people argue that there will always be “bullying” and Discrimination so what
makes this issue worse than the rest?Discrimination, no matter what, is morally wrong, and discrimination
based on sexual preferences needs to
stop. “Along with the degrading discrimination based on sexual orientation, comes the subjection of
verbal abuse and other hate crimes. A gay and lesbian anti-violence report
states that 75% of hate crimes based on sexual orientations are committed by people under the age of 30, and one in three are under the age of 18. More
than 80% of victims of violent hate crimes never report the incident, because many are afraid they will be
“outed” Such discrimination and violence can result
in low self esteem, and in some cases,suicide. The U.S. Department of Health
and Human Services estimated that "as many as 30% of completed youth suicides each year" are performed by homosexuals. Approximately 1,488 suicides per year are committed by homosexual teenagers. This could all
stop, or at least go down drastically is gay marriage was to be legalized because, it would become more accepted. Maybe not at first but, it would gradually get better throughout the years.
Children should always have a loving home but, in reality that is never going
to happen. With gay marriage legalization the chances of it getting
better will go up. Another argument against same sex marriage is that we need to "protect" our children. Some
people may say that the "ideal" situation for children or teenagers is to be raised
with a loving mother and a loving father. While this isn’t wrong, it isn’t reality. It
would be perfect if everyone had a loving
mother and father, but think about it how
many children or teenagers are being raised by single parents because one
parent took off, or have a mother and a father but are neglected and/or abused? It seems inane to even suggest that it would
be better for a child to be raised in an abusive home over that of a loving same sex couple. Studies show that legalizing gay marriage will increase adoption rates for children up to 37%. If this legal issue was to stop, more children would have loving homes. Who are you
to take that away?