Think Before You Speak | Teen Ink

Think Before You Speak

January 12, 2010
By thedepartedone GOLD, Visalia, California
thedepartedone GOLD, Visalia, California
16 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is not doing a sum, but yet painting a picture."


Many lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) students are disrespected everyday when students use homophobic remarks. This makes them feel unwanted and unsafe. “That’s so gay”, is one of the most common homophobic remarks, but many people don’t realize how insulting this remark can be. It also can carry over into harassment. Do you think it would be nice if people stated using remarks like, that’s so “jock that can complete a pass but not a sentence”, that’s so “cheerleader who like can’t like say smart stuff,” or maybe even that’s so “gamer guy that has more video games than friends.” If you think that’s hurtful, how do you think ‘that’s so gay’ sounds? Its hurtful and insulting.




The rate of negative remarks about lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people is huge. Reports of hearing homophobic remarks are more than half of the students at a school. Homophobic remarks are one problem; another is the harassment and bullying of LGBT students. Results of harassment and bullying can be students feeling unsafe, missing school, receiving lower grades, and not attending college. Did you know that in the last year 9 out of 10 LGBT have been harassed? Over one third of LGBT students have been physically assaulted because of the gender identity and sexual orientation. Sad, isn’t it? People should be respected for whom they are. A lot of homophobic remarks aren’t intended to be hurtful or offensive; they’re just said in carelessness. In order to stop this, we all need to start thinking before we speak. Sometimes we may not understand the consequences of the words we choose.


The author's comments:
Being inspired by the way I feel about the discrimination about LGBT and my cousins being some of these people inspired me to write this piece.