Gay Rights | Teen Ink

Gay Rights

November 22, 2009
By Bobbi PLATINUM, Terry, Mississippi
Bobbi PLATINUM, Terry, Mississippi
39 articles 1 photo 46 comments

Recently i have began to question the motive behind banding gay marriages. I wanted a reason, an answer and an explanation as to why my aunt can not marry. The truth is there is no LEGAL reason why they cannot marry. Here's my thing... think about this, if you ask a person why gays can't marry they say because its not right and if you keep pushing the issue of why its not right it all goes back to religion."because the bible says its wrong" a friend of mine once said to me. In law and politics you are told to separate church from state, yet gays are immoral because the bible says that... in America we have freedom of religion. If we are going to base homosexual relationships on religion we must take ALL religions into consideration since our 1st amendment says freedom of religion. Buddha was not for or against gay marriages so the Buddhist religion should be in affect here.I think by refusing gays their right to marry is unconstitutional and goes against the 1st amendment because not all Americans are christian and that's what we are basing it off of.


The author's comments:
Gay rights.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 36 comments.


emzy_K said...
on Sep. 25 2018 at 11:40 pm
emzy_K, Lake Park, Iowa
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
I know what you mean, why should the community suffer when, in all reality, the majority of teenagers in out modern society are a part of the lgbt community.

danranz BRONZE said...
on Nov. 4 2015 at 2:46 pm
danranz BRONZE, ..., Hawaii
3 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"..." William Shakespear

My thoughts exactly. There isn't any reason or justification for discrimination against the LGBT community outside of the bible. It's just ignorance. "because the bible says its wrong" isn't a valid excuse for people to hate and persecute people who just want to live their lives.

on Jun. 26 2014 at 3:11 pm
canuckgirl935, Palmer, Alaska
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
I agree completely. :)

on Feb. 4 2014 at 1:22 pm
writinggurl SILVER, Easley, South Carolina
8 articles 0 photos 14 comments
Truthfully I country was founded on Christian beliefs. If God wanted females and females to be together or males males to be together there waould just be one gender. But as we see there are two genders and I am against gay marriage all the way. This is why our country is so messed up no body follows God they all just go there own way (not just gay people)

MaxineA BRONZE said...
on Oct. 15 2013 at 2:19 pm
MaxineA BRONZE, Orange Park, Florida
2 articles 1 photo 18 comments
Our country might seperate church and government, but we should not seperate ourselves from what our country was originally founded upon: MORAL law and and NATURAL law. They are the roots of the Constitution and the stem that supports a great nation. If you must, pull out the roots and snap the stem. We'll see what happens.

on Aug. 18 2011 at 8:31 pm
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California
45 articles 9 photos 564 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

For one thing, not everyone is g.ay.   In there near future it is unlikely that everyone will become g.ay.  And as TeaCat pointed out, we're in a bit of an overpopulation crisis.  The world population decreasing is something we're TRYING to accomplish.

on Apr. 16 2011 at 9:19 am
teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

May I point out that the world is getting disturbingly overpopulated? I don't think the world is in any danger of dying out. And if it did, better humans die than animals. Humans are destroying the world.

on Apr. 16 2011 at 9:16 am
teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

I agree!          

Bobbi PLATINUM said...
on Feb. 18 2011 at 11:58 pm
Bobbi PLATINUM, Terry, Mississippi
39 articles 1 photo 46 comments
Ok missplacedtexanblahblahblah, you want equal rights heres your equal rights, the equal rights amendment was first introduced in 1923 and again in 1972, its purpose is to give women and men equal rights under the constituion because women still do not have them.. and guess what its still is not an amendment... you would think in todays society passing an amendment giving women the rights we so deserve wouldn't be so hard but here we are almost 100years later, so yes you are WRONG on equal rights.

Bobbi PLATINUM said...
on Feb. 18 2011 at 11:53 pm
Bobbi PLATINUM, Terry, Mississippi
39 articles 1 photo 46 comments
It has always been between a man and a woman because the bible made it that way!! People say its not natural, but almost EVERY species of animals have homosexual ones among them... and do not for get that we are mamals!! Just because we are more advanced does not mean that homosexuality is not natural. What is natural? Getting married having kids and getting divorced because thats what happens these days so in that case marriage is not worth the piece of paper it is written on!

lab96 SILVER said...
on Feb. 17 2011 at 7:49 pm
lab96 SILVER, Mission, Other
8 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
You got enemies? Good, means you stood up for something you care about.

We are not asking for any more rights than you have! We are asking for the right to marry who we want, just like hetrosexuals have this right. Homosexuals have less rights than hertosexuals and have been frowned upon by today's ignorant bible loving jerks! If were only allowed to have a civil union, why don't you get one? Why are we forced to have something diffrent? Because we choose to follow our heart? and Most marriages are based on love. So most of your debate MisplacedTexan14 is WRONG!

deathward22 said...
on Feb. 2 2011 at 9:08 pm
deathward22, Los Alamos, New Mexico
0 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." mark twain

They are not asking for more rights, they are asking to be able to marry the person of their choice and not be told that they cant because they are different

on Feb. 2 2011 at 9:03 pm
MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California
0 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

excuse me, I am one of those bible kissing nut jobs and its immature to use name calling in debate (just saying)

Also, they can live with eachother, do whatver they please to do, get a civil union, they just can't call it marriage. Marriage is and has always been one man and one woman.

And, my point in this whole argument, which you have yet to prove wrong, is that everyone has equal rights. Homosexuals are not asking for equal rights, they are asking for more rights. Prove me wrong on that and then we can go to the next argument. Okay?


deathward22 said...
on Feb. 2 2011 at 8:58 pm
deathward22, Los Alamos, New Mexico
0 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." mark twain

So just because our government is full of bible kissing nut jobs. people who love each other have to suffer injustice

on Feb. 2 2011 at 8:50 pm
MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California
0 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

The law does not give us the right to marry someone we love. Where in any law does it say that? Women are given the right to marry men and vice versa.

deathward22 said...
on Feb. 2 2011 at 8:48 pm
deathward22, Los Alamos, New Mexico
0 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." mark twain

no, they ask for the right of marriage to the one they love and the other rights that go along with marriage. why should heterosexuals be able to share the joy of marriage with a loved one when homosexuals can't

on Feb. 2 2011 at 7:36 pm
MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California
0 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

My point is valid. My point is that homosexuals are NOT asking for equal rights, they are asking for more rights. I am not saying whether it is right or wrong (though in my opinion it is wrong, but that is my opinion) I am simply stating the fact that we all have the same rights, and homosexuals are asking for more rights

deathward22 said...
on Feb. 2 2011 at 5:18 pm
deathward22, Los Alamos, New Mexico
0 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." mark twain

but your point is invalid. Just because you have the "right" doesn't mean it is right

Loka013 BRONZE said...
on Jan. 25 2011 at 7:00 pm
Loka013 BRONZE, Amarillo, Texas
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Faith, all you absolutely have to have is faith.

i agree. but no one remembers that church and government should be seperated. America is based on freedom.

gaga-fan28 said...
on Aug. 4 2010 at 10:23 pm
I completely agree! There is nothing wrong with gay marriage, what's wrong is when people are discriminating against gays.