How Public Spaces Can Negatively Impact the Social Aspects of a Community | Teen Ink

How Public Spaces Can Negatively Impact the Social Aspects of a Community

August 16, 2021
By Anonymous

Human by nature are social animals.

 

More and more emphasis is being put on the importance of socialization and most areas revolve their infrastructures around public spaces. However, more often than one would expect, public spaces may be achieving the opposite of their intentions. Instead of bringing together a community, it may be the tools that creates controversy and disbands it into different sides. In my essay, I will be discussing the extent to which public spaces can negatively impact the community through a social lens and how we should act upon it.

 

According to the department of Social and Human Sciences in UNESCO, “a public space refers to an area or place that is open and accessible to all peoples, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age or socio-economic level”. This definition, while widely accepted, is violated again and again, some through outrageous aspects, others subconsciously.

 

July 5th, 2020, 8:55am, a video of the statue of Christopher Columbus in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor being pulled down from the pedestal where it once stood highly and thrown into the river was posted on Twitter. As the monument crashes to the ground, it is welcomed by a round of cheers and applause, many even gather to wave its ruins triumphally in the air. This event has occurred as Columbus was viewed as one the historical figures who had supported racism and engaged in slavery, however, is also being honored and celebrated (Independent). This public space has violated the values of equality in the community and from this, as well as many other news reports from the recent Black Lives Matter protests, has resulted in physical responses due to the lack of acknowledgement to them.

 

With more recent news events on the segregation and crimes against races, gender, and more, it has somewhat instilled fear within me as I do not know what to expect upon going back to the US. Living in china for most of my life, I have come to fear what life may be like in other countries as I have grown accustomed to being accepted. While racial segregation isn’t apparent in my daily life, I have experienced obvious instances.

 

Although I may seem to lack insight as I’ve only ever lived in three neighborhoods my life, surprisingly they allowed me to experience types of communities on most of the spectrum. The suburbs of New York was a neighborhood that was open to the public with houses spaced apart, yet I was still very close to two families and felt safe while could walking to their houses.  The city of Beijing, although in an enclosed space, lacks more in a sense of community. Finally, the suburb of Beijing was for me, the most successful. The more bonded communities had, in fact, the most successful public spaces. The suburbs of New York had little barriers between houses, creating many open spaces for interaction and no obstacles between families. Along with provided public facilities, the community in the suburbs of Beijing also created their own clubs, secondhand stores, libraries, events, and more. This was possible because of the public facility provided (club house, swimming pool, and multiple playgrounds) and the encouraged use of walking and biking (bike racks and dirt paths).

 

Based on the information extracted from my own experiences, I think for any public space to be built successfully, the community must first establish the type of society that are, such as their values, cultures, religions, and more. This may prevent controversial landmarks to be built, decreasing future conflicts. For the community to bond more effectively, interaction must be encouraged; this could include more paths that only allow walking and biking, public facilities that are accessible to all, and social events or gatherings, all of which are better able to spark conversations among the citizens, creating a bond rather than a divide between the people.

 

Elders, children, and disabled citizens also fall victim to common public space designs. Most spaces may not provide accessible means of safe transportation devices for them. For instance, sidewalk bumps often do not reach all areas of a city, crossing roads may be dangerous for some, and construction or unpaved streets may be hazardous as well.

 

In china, filial piety is greatly valued and helping elders cross the road is a common practice encouraged since elementary school. However, in real life, the busy streets are often not as forgiving. The air is filled with shouts, honks, bells, creating a rather chaotic atmosphere that may put pressure on elders, children, and members with disabilities. In the fourteen years that I have lived in Beijing, I have observed that the main issues lie within transportation themselves.

 

Elders and those with disabilities frequently find it difficult to conduct certain acts, whether that is crossing the road, entering a vehicle, or walking along an uneven path. Even more pressure is built upon this when the space is filled with cars honking with hurry. To help these citizens feel more comfortable without hindering others, public spaces should have flexible transportation lanes. For instance, in crowded areas or busy streets, cars, buses, and other high-speed vehicles should be eliminated to provide a safer space. Another solution could be creating more separate lanes for parking so entering vehicles would not be a pressure situation. Other easy solutions would include the implementation of more disability friendly tools such as smooth roads and slopes. Additionally, according to an article published on Big Rentz’s website, many of those who are visually impaired are able to detect objects with greater contrast, whether that is color or texture. A more direct way to provide a safer space is to create physical barriers, preferably ones without sharp edges such as fences, that will separate the pedestrian sidewalks and the road. This will also be beneficial for young children who may wander into the roads. Another great tool are auditory aids, such as a noise produced by traffic lights when it is green. When one sense is not as sensitive due to age or impairments, a public space can take advantage of other senses to maximize their accessibility.

 

This segregation extends to other parts of a city, including areas being off limits to certain members of society, hostile architectures such as jagged rocks and arm rests on benches make anti-homeless statements (Tstevensmedia), and even bridges “designed to be so low that buses could not pass under them” to prevent lower socio-economic citizens to cross (Yale Law Journal). These segregations defeat the initial purpose of a public space and may even result in dangerous consequences and therefore should be acted on quickly.

 

In a growing and urbanizing society, it is every more important to ensure that equal access is achieved as much as possible in spaces that serve as social and bonding purposes for a community. The closer we are to these goals, the easier it is for a society to prevent conflicts and thrive.


The author's comments:

This article addresses how public spaces can be used to discriminate rather than unite a community and how we can act upon this issue.