Should Parents Be Able To Opt Out of Vaccinating Their Children | Teen Ink

Should Parents Be Able To Opt Out of Vaccinating Their Children

By Taylor.R BRONZE, Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Taylor.R BRONZE, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

Up to 4 million people in the united states alone were affected by measles each year before the measles shot came out. Now, many people's lives are saved from getting a simple shot. So parents should not be able to opt out of vaccinating their children getting your child or children vaccinated will save you money in the long run, keep you and others around you safe and many diseases that have been declared abolished have made more and more cases.

If you want to save money, keep your children vaccinated. If your child gets sick, they will most likely have to go to the hospital or a clinic to get checked out. Well you have to go at least once a year for their well child check up, that is when you can get their shot, you will have to go more if they do end up getting sick. If you give them their shots then you don’t have to take them into the hospital to get shots or just for the doctor to tell you there is nothing wrong with them. Although every time you go to the doctor you will have to pay the medical bill, which can average out to about 100+ dollars each visit. According to the article “CDC Newsroom”, many people all over the world save money. 294 million dollars are saved from direct cost in the United States well over 1 billion dollars are saved in societal costs. Some aren't able to afford the shots for their children, but there are ways to get your children the shots that they need. Many insurance companies will pay for vaccinations. That mean that the shots are free of charge for the parents/guardians of the children. If you can’t afford insurance there are still ways that you can get your child the shots that he or she needs to live a long and healthy life. The article “How To Pay”, tells about the VFC Program. The program is called the Vaccinations For Children. They will give you child shots for no charge. You can get shots for free until you’re 19 years old. Also you can never be denied from the VFC. You will always get the shots that you need.

Getting vaccinated takes away your chances of getting sick. There are some kids who really can’t get their shots. Some of their immune systems aren't ready or sometimes they are sick. To keep these kids safe others around them need to have all the shots that they need so that they will not get sick. The shots help the body fight off the diseases like measles. In the article “CDC Newsroom”, they say that 1 out every 1,000 children that gets measles will die. The CDC also estimates that over the last 20 years getting vaccinated has prevented over 20 million hospitalizations and over 700,000 children deaths. Vaccines are not 100% effective, but they will affect everyone who gets the shot different, but everyone can handle the shot. The article “Top 20 Questions about Vaccination”, states that vaccines will help you more than some people think. As I said they are not 100% effective, but the measles and polio can be up to 99% effective. Well the chickenpox is 85-90% effective but is 100% effective from serious chickenpox.

There are many more cases of diseases like MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) around the world. One example is in Minnesota, one of the next door state, is facing one of the biggest measles outbreak in 30 years. In May of 2016, there were already 65 confirmed cases of measles.  As more and more kids aren't getting vaccinated more cases of measles have been going around the United States. According to the article, “Vaccines still best for children”, in 2012, there were 229 cases of measles world wide well in 2016 there was 5,311 cases. In the first couple months of 2016 there were 1,077 cases of measles in 37 out of the 50 states. Not just measles is going around, whooping cough cases in Maine have grown and are estimated to erupt in more cases in the next couple months.

Will all of these facts from many different articles we can't deny that children need to get vaccinated? The benefits of getting your children vaccinated outweigh the negatives of vaccinations.  Getting your children vaccinated will be helpful financially, will keep you healthier, and it will help the country get rid of these harmful diseases. If you get your children vaccinated you will not just be helping yourself and your kids, but everyone around you.