Yes We Can! | Teen Ink

Yes We Can!

March 26, 2009
By Jasmine Sawyer BRONZE, Stone Mountain, Georgia
Jasmine Sawyer BRONZE, Stone Mountain, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There I sat, in my dorm’s crowded lobby, with my eyes fixed to the big screen TV. I joined my peers and the rest of the world, as we witnessed history in the making. I felt as if my heart would burst from the pride of this moment. The 44th President of The United States of America, Barak Obama, was delivering his Inauguration speech. Forty years ago, Dr. King stood on the very same steps delivering his famous “I Have a Dream" speech, and the world was also tuned in to that historic day. In the midst of all of my pride and glory, a voice from the back of the room bluntly stated, “It’s only a matter of time before he's either assassinated or screws everything up." Just for a moment, I felt an overwhelming feeling of defeat. It is sad to know there is still a small portion of this nation that holds a pessimistic attitude towards our commander-in-chief and the state that our country is in.
The time is here and the time is now for all mankind to unite. Our nation is strong but we can be stronger. This greater power lies in agreement, not conflict. This nation has always been made of a string of different ethnicities, backgrounds, and religions. The great factor about our diversity is that even in the midst of our differences, we still stand united. We can celebrate our differences and yet still join together to accomplish much.
Even if I have to stand alone, I proudly stand in support of our President Obama. Obama’s campaign slogan set the ground perfectly for the journey that awaits us… Yes We Can!
These words have now released the world to walk in freedom, victory, and unity.

Yes we can improve our nation’s economy.
Yes we can turn the education system around.
Yes we can conquer terrorism.
Yes we can overcome racism.
Yes we can create global peace.
Yes we can establish and maintain a healthier environment.
Yes we can guarantee Americans stable jobs.
Yes we can stand stronger than ever in the midst of global chaos.
Yes we can unite as one nation.
Yes we can overcome anything we set our mind to.
Yes We Can!
The only thing we can’t do is force you to join us.

Will you join me? Will you join the world? Will you join this global command to once and for all overcome that which has divided us? Yes, one person can make a difference, but a people can make a change. It is my prayer that this spirit become contagious and overtake every man, woman, boy and girl.
“Life at its best is a creative synthesis of opposites in fruitful harmony”
-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.