Should Religion Affect the State’s Decisions? | Teen Ink

Should Religion Affect the State’s Decisions?

April 24, 2017
By BennyBoy42 SILVER, Tirana, Other
BennyBoy42 SILVER, Tirana, Other
7 articles 0 photos 9 comments

One day, about a year ago, as I was observing the American dollar, I noticed something quite controversial. I noticed the phrase “In God We Trust”. As an American citizen, I thought, “No. No, I don’t.” And after seeing that, I did more research around it. That phrase was added in the U.S. Dollar quite recently, in the mid 20th century. If it were part of the U.S. dollar since 1785, when the U.S. dollar was first used, then it would make slightly more sense. But in fact, the founders of the United States said that religion should not interfere with the state. There even was a treaty that announced that “the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.” Nonetheless, the Christian religion unrightfully found its way into the government of a non-religious country. I don’t think that it’s right that some people’s beliefs are affecting and limiting other people’s lives.

The Christian religion doesn’t have the right in any way to affect the state’s decisions. As I mentioned, the United States is not a religious country, so religion shouldn’t interfere with the government. The Christian religion, like any other thing, has some truth in it as well, and that could, of course, be a law. But that was taken too far, and now there are laws that are solely based on Christian beliefs, and have no truth behind them. And that’s what bothers me.

One very important but unjust law that was adopted because of the Christian religion was the ban of same-sex marriage. I still don’t understand why homosexuality was such a big deal. This was a very direct example of how the beliefs of some people affected the lives of others. There’s no reason why someone should care about another person’s sexual orientation; that’s their personal life. Until now, homosexuality has caused no harm, so there’s no reason to fight against it. In fact, the ones that have caused more harm are the ones that protested against same-sex marriage. Because some people thought that homosexuality isn’t natural, homosexuals weren’t able to marry until June of 2015. If homosexuality were truly unnatural, it wouldn’t be seen in other species. But we already know 1500 species that practice homosexuality. And just like in this case, the Christian religion doesn’t quite get it all right. Especially when there’s no reasoning or proof of a certain belief, it shouldn’t become a law.

 There are many religions, and there are many differences between them. Each religion has its own beliefs. By having laws based on a certain religion, many people won’t be granted the freedom they’re supposed to have. Many Christians could argue that that’s what’s right in their opinion. Furthermore, the Christians make up the majority of the US population, about 70%. But still, there’s a 30% who are not going to be granted the same freedom as the other 70%, if there will be laws because of Christianity.

Besides forcing beliefs into people unjustly, laws that are affected by religion break other very important laws, like the first amendment of the United States. I think that no laws should be made respecting an establishment of religion. Those laws remove basic rights from certain people and remove the freedom everyone should have.

Similar Articles


This article has 0 comments.