Refugee Crisis: Who Should Help? | Teen Ink

Refugee Crisis: Who Should Help?

By pb222 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
pb222 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Think about how you would feel if you had to sneak into a country, or come into a country with the chance of having to leave and go back to a war torn country. You would have nowhere else to go, nowhere to sleep, and nothing to eat. According to the United Nations (UN). Unfortunately for about 60 million people this is happening to them due to war. Whether or not countries that can help with the refugee crisis should help or not, is an ongoing disagreement between countries and people. Some people argue that some countries that can help should not help and/or there are other ways to go about fixing the problem. Other however argue that countries that can provide help should. Countries should help because many deaths are occurring,there is space for the refugees in countries like Japan, most people trying to escape ISIS than side with ISIS and lastly people want to help.

One reason why countries that can help should help with the refugee crisis is because many deaths are occurring. “The UN estimates that about 25,000 people have been killed during the 4 year civil war in Syria” (A home lost,a home found: Some Syrian refugees find way to chicago). “Turkish media reported that 11 migrants drowned as they tried to cross the sea to greece” (Migrants in crisis: Stranded at Hungary train station; drowned near Turkey).

Another reason why  countries that can help should help with the refugee crisis is because there is space for the refugees in countries like Japan. “With its rapidly aging population and paltry birth rate, Japan is getting smaller and grayer by the year.” (As Europe makes room for refugees, some in Japan ask: Why not us?). “Japan’s government estimates that the country’s population will shrink from the 127 million to 95 million by 2050 and by that stage 40% of Japanese bill be over the age of 21 ” (As Europe makes room for refugees, some in Japan ask: Why not us?). “And it is not as if Japan does not have the space the New York times recently reported that there are 8 million ghost homes in Japan” ” (As Europe makes room for refugees, some in Japan ask: Why not us?). Japan might as well put those ghost homes to use. A ghost home is a home that no one is living in.

However, it is true countries that are accepting refugees are taking a big risk. The U.S is worried about the safety of their country “The US government worries that members of the Islamic State a.k.a ISIS might slip in among those trying to escape the violence” said Bill Frelick- director of the refugee-rights program at Human Rights Watch (A home lost, a home found: Some Syrian refugees find way to Chicago). The fact that migrants are causing countries to make new laws just to make sure they are not getting into their country. However there is a reason why migrants are trying to get into those countries it is not their fault that where they live is being tore up by ISIS and the military,it is just bad luck, what is happening to their country is not their fault so why are they being ‘punished’ by not being able to seek safety in a country that is actually safe.

However most people trying to escape ISIS rather than side with ISIS “The tragedy he added is that these refugees are the very people fleeing ISIS they want to come with children to have a decent life where they won’t cower and live in fear” says Bill Frelick- director of the refugee-rights program at Human Rights Watch (A home lost, a home found: Some Syrian refugees find way to Chicago). “We were sitting in my house when … it was destroyed over our heads,” said Fadi Adris, recalling Ihe Middle East and Europe. The family fled to Damascus, the Syrian capital, about 100 miles south. But within five months, the violence caught up to them. Fatima Adris eldest brother was shot in the street, and her father was also shot. “We were very, very afraid,” Fatima Adris said. “We hid in destroyed buildings. Whenever we would see a soldier, ... (my son Abdel Hamid) would hold me and shout, ‘Soldier!’” The surviving relatives escaped by bus to Lebanon. After three years, they learned that they would be resettled in the United States, and in March, the family arrived in Chicago.

Another reason why countries that can help with the refugee crisis should help is because people want to help. Not only do some countries want to help but people do to and even though they might not have so much power they still want to help. “In Iceland, people are using social media to challenge the government's pledge to host just 50 Syrians. They are urging their government to do more. Some residents went online to say they would open their homes to a war refugee. Others have urged the government to turn an unused army base into migrant housing”.(Migrants in crisis: Stranded at Hungary train station; drowned near Turkey).

The debate on whether countries that are able to help with the refugee crisis should help is a hot topic. Countries that can help should help because many deaths are occurring there is space for the refugees in countries like Japan,most people trying to escape ISIS rather than side with ISIS  people what to help.  Although there are problems included with the refugee crisis, the problem itself is bigger. With more countries helping the problem will take less time to resolve.