The Problem With Society | Teen Ink

The Problem With Society

February 28, 2009
By BannedGeekII SILVER, Commack, New York
BannedGeekII SILVER, Commack, New York
8 articles 0 photos 17 comments

In this crazed world we live in, being different is frowned upon. If you are too smart, you are called a geek. If you are not smart enough, you are called stupid. There is some middle ground, some formula you must follow to fit in. It is sad how many brilliant children's minds are shattered at such an early age. Today, fitting in means too much to people. They believe exactly what they are told. They follow the rules when others follow them, and they break the rules when others break them. That is just the way it is and few would ever think to question it. They do this all to make friends. Friends they don't even enjoy the company of.

If kids could learn to make friends with the kids they like, then the world would be a better place. Instead they choose to talk about their, so called, friends behind their backs, and have their own friends talk about them, in turn. It really is a miserable way to grow up. These are the children society is pressing to become our future leaders. Conceited, ignorant kids. This is the way the world is headed. To be a lonely place. A fake world.

The true definition of integrity is soundness of moral character; honesty. And this very well might be the definition. But, definitions don't count much towards what a word really means. Because, integrity isn't just a bunch of words. The problem with society today is that people don't carry integrity around with them in their pockets. People don't understand working hard to feel a sense of goodness and pride.
Honesty, another part of integrity, doesn't just mean being truthful. Honesty means not cheating yourself. Who you are, when no one's watching. No one is completely honest, because we all can admit that we have taken the easy way out on one thing or another. But, people think that if they don't get caught, then no harm is done. But really, the only ones they have cheated are themselves.

But, the major problem is that people don't think there is a way out. They just brush their hands together and say, 'That's it. There's nothing else we can do.' And the irony of this is that, part of this lie is true. The world is full of hatred, and separation. But, the war is also full of love and people who want to help, but don't know how. And those people are the hope of our future. Those people are the children. And those few people who give kids hope and self-confidence are the ones who will help repair our society' One insecure child at a time.