Drones Helping the World | Teen Ink

Drones Helping the World

January 16, 2017
By pmh22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
pmh22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Drones and whether they are a threat to the world has been argued because people all have different ideas on the issue.  Some people argue that drones are an invasion of privacy and menacing to planes and people; others argue that drones can help places with damage, they can help with businesses, and can help people with their daily needs.  What if you were in need, but nobody came to help you?  That is what it would feel like if we did not have drones.  We use are drones in ways to help the world, not destroy it.  Drones are an immense help to people and the world.


First, drones are very good at documenting places with damage.  In the Haitian town of Jeremie, drones are helping with fixing the destruction of Hurricane Matthew.  For example, “Once in the air, it will document damage to the area caused by Hurricane Matthew.”  (page 1, Above the fray: In storm-ravaged Haiti, drones help aid get to where needed)  Now, people have a new tool that can help find where aid is needed most.  Using drones, you get a very detailed picture of the scenery, unlike satellite images.  With drones, you can gather enough information to develop three-dimensional images.  The pictures that the drones take can be detailed down to four centimeters; satellite images only provide a 50 centimeter detail.  This is a huge improvement.  Drones have helped everything flow faster.  For example, “Thanks to drone images, engineers were able to quickly repair Jeremie’s storm-damaged harbor.”  (page 2, Above the fray: In storm-ravaged Haiti, drones help aid get to where needed)  Finally, with the help of drones, people can send help to people in isolated communities.  These places are difficult to reach by land, so with the help of drones, people can effortlessly send items to help those people.


Next, drones are a huge help to people with businesses.  Some people have started using them to sell properties.  These people invite buyers to come view the homes with images taken from the drones high up in the air.  These pictures create the “wow factor”.  For example, “They invite buyers to view country homes, waterfront land and suburban houses, with images taken by the drones from high up.”  (page 1, Technology is up in the air as drones help some realtors sell properties)  Drones can help make buying and selling more efficient.  When drones take the pictures high up in the air, it helps make the buying of the land speed up because people are able to see so much more with the help of drones.  Also, drones are way more inexpensive than using an airplane for images of the land.


Furthermore, drones can help people with their daily needs.  Drones can even help people with war.  A new weapon got announced for an experiment in April.  For example, “ The weapon can rapidly launch up to 30 drones out of a tube, which then swarm together to gather information or strike at an enemy.”  (page 1, Opinion: Cargo drones can make a difference in Africa, elsewhere)  Flying goods and packages with drones is so much cheaper than with cargo planes.  This is because drones are lightweight, but are still just as safe and fast as cargo planes.  Drones can get people jobs, and save their lives.  There are so many people who need help in isolated communities. For example, “About 800 million people around the world have limited access to emergency services.”  (page 1, Opinion: Cargo drones can make a difference in Africa, elsewhere)  The drones can do this by flying medical supplies to these people.  Drones are an essential part to these people because roads aren’t going to be built there any time soon.  Drones will never replace ground transportation and they will always be used for those who need them most.   Drones are very trustworthy and you can always trust that these drones will bring your things to where there are supposed to go.

 
It is true that drones can be a threat the world.  They could damage many things and make airplane drivers make sharp turns to avoid a head on collision.  There have been 327 close encounters between drones and manned aircrafts over a 21- month period with 51 cases when drones have become 50 feet of the driver and 28 incidents where the pilot had to make a sharp turn to avoid a collision.  But on the other hand, drones have not had one hit yet.  For example, “In tens of millions of hours of drones flying, nobody has been killed by a recreational drone, he said.”  (page 2, Not your dad’s remote control airplane: Toy drones upsetting aviation world)  Also, drones are already getting new safety features and there is little or no information about the issue.


In conclusion, drones are a huge help to people and the world.  They can help with places that are damaged, can help with businesses, and they can help with people's daily needs.  This topic is so important because it can help with so many things.  People usually think about technology the wrong way.  Without these drones, the world could be significantly different from the world with drones.  Drones are truly a huge help to our world.