If I Were President | Teen Ink

If I Were President

By Julienne Caprio BRONZE, Pompton Plains, New Jersey
Julienne Caprio BRONZE, Pompton Plains, New Jersey

If a middle level student were the next president of the United States of America, one of the biggest issues they would have to face is global warming. Now, more than ever, we need to change the way we live to make our planet a safer place to live. Greenhouse gases have increased rapidly because of the toxins that are put into the air. Recycling is so small, yet can make such a massive difference. Many mechanical things contribute to putting waste into the air that we breathe. If a middle level student were to become president, they would have to start with a big plan, because this is a large problem, that is caused be people, and not nature.

Greenhouse gas emissions come from our daily lives, and the things we use. We might not know it, but we are helping global warming every time we use a hairspray bottle, go in a car, ride a plane, and use products that were produced in factories. A teenage president would be affected by global warming most because they understand what is happening, and they will live to see it get better, or worse.

Recycling can make a world of a difference if we just try. Every time you throw a piece of paper in the garbage, it will be put in a compose pile where it will not decompose. It will stay there as it is forever. When you spit your gum out onto the sidewalk, it will stay there for as long as the sidewalk is there. You might think that these are not such bad things, but they are the worst things you could do for our environment. All things that aren't recycled just stay there, and nothing happens to them. With recycling, the waste goes into a center where machines combine all the materials, and recreate numerous pieces of products. When we are finished with those products, we should recycle them again. A teenage president should create a law stating recycling is mandatory.

Greenhouse gases are worsening and are actually making a warm blanket around the earth. The US Academy of Sciences has made it clear that countries around the world need to be proactive in reducing Greenhouse gas emissions. This is why there is no 'but'. We need to act now. If we fail to act, the average global temperatures will increase from two degrees to 11.5 degrees Fahrenheit by 2100. This will cause more intense storms, more droughts, and more erosion to coastal areas from rising seas. As a middle school student, I understand how important the problem of global warming is, and know that it is in my duty to make a difference. There is no way that I would be able to make a difference alone, and that is why a president needs to make it known that this needs to be out for all the country, and even world to know.