Gender Equality (Women's Rights) | Teen Ink

Gender Equality (Women's Rights)

March 29, 2016
By TerraJ BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
TerraJ BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I believe that seeing women as an equal to men and why they should have equal job opportunities is a necessity in the United States that should be addressed immediately, and by working together we, as a society, can fix this problem by treating everybody with the respect they deserve.

   

Some counterpoints that someone could say are that women already have the rights that everybody is granted, which would be human rights. And in a perfect world, that would be true. However, we do not live in that perfect world. If you look at the society we live in, it’s very clear to see that not all women actually have “human rights”.

   

Currently, in the US, there is a lack of respect for women and that greatly affects the everyday life for a woman. For example, on average, women get paid much less even for doing the same job. “Women earned 76.5 cents for every dollar that men did last year, moving no closer to narrowing a gender pay gap that has barely budged in almost a decade.” (The Wall Street Journal) The wages in male and female jobs have gone up drastically since the 1960s, but male wages are still about 10,000 dollars apart. And as you can tell, there is still a lot of work to do.

   

We live in a society that is at times deeply patriarchal, and sometimes this can be a problem. For example, if you look at politicians, almost all of them are male. Infact only 20% of politicians who are in a upper house or senate position are women. Which indicates that the government of our country is mostly patriarchal. This can, and does lead to many negative outcomes.
   

For example, the most obvious outcomes is that women have less representation in politics. Another is that it sends the message that women shouldn’t be in positions of power and that they don’t have an opinion, which is not true.

   

We can all help the cause of making women's rights the same as human rights by taking part in petitions or protests. If you are in any sort of position where you have power, for example the CEO of a company, you can make the wages the same for men and women. But you can also make a big difference even if you are not. You could participate in rallies or protest against unequal wages. Whoever you are, you could make a big difference in sculpting our future and turning it into the world we want it to be.