Still Not Colorblind | Teen Ink

Still Not Colorblind MAG

By Aaron S. BRONZE, Zebulon, North Carolina
Aaron S. BRONZE, Zebulon, North Carolina

I often heard about the presidential election on the news. You probably did too, if you expose yourself at all to the sickly sun of the American media. Journalists, reporters, and every other member of the information army practically wet themselves with exultation at the election of the United States’ first African-American president. And so have American citizens. There are still “Obama ’08” signs in yards, on cars, bridges, babies, and anything else that can be decorated with that godly O – his supporters still have that smug smirk glued like a bumper sticker across their faces.

Reading this, you might come to the conclusion that I am a rabid racist and torch-waving conservative, but hear me out! I am not a racist – in fact, I am almost certainly more colorblind than you, Obamanite. Barack Obama is now America’s first black president. You may say “Hooray!” but I say “So what?” You might tout his victory as a sign that racism is dead, and equal opportunity is, if not here, then well on its way. I disagree.

Racism is discrimination. Discrimination is not simply the act of deriding or oppressing a particular race. I believe it is any emphasis of racial differences. If a caucasian sees himself as “white” and identifies with others of his skin tone to form a coalition promoting his race, this is racist. By this logic, pro-black coalitions are racist too. And those who vaunt Obama’s presidency as a victory for African-American people are included.

In my experience, modern society is not discriminatory in its presentation of opportunity. There are black CEOs; there are white hobos; there are ­members of every race in every position. It’s the beauty of America! And yet still some insist on highlighting Obama’s victory as something strange and wonderful. Not only is it an insult to the American spirit to be fascinated by a black president, it’s an insult to those who have fought for this spirit.

The proper response to Obama’s election should have been: “We have a new president. Will he do a good job?” It is foolish to think that just because Obama is black, he will do a good job. Those who share my opinion see Obama not as racial crusader in shining armor, but as a politician whose ­actions must be analyzed logically. In short, the fact that America still ­perceives races as “different” is shameful. In a land of equal opportunity, the best will win – and the best has been chosen.

Celebrating Obama’s victory in a racial context is simply celebrating past racial divides. The election was not a victory for African-Americans, but a victory for all Americans.

whispersofthenight GOLD, Tallahassee, Florida

I am an artist; I paint with words.

I agree with you. Actually, around here, it's more like people think Obama will do a worse job, not better. I wish we could just ignore the racial issue. Great job on your article.

conversegirl23 BRONZE, Wasilla, Alaska
1 article 1 photo 36 comments

"So many frogs, so few princes"

My thoughts exactly. Very well written article.

Goodness said...
Okay, how many times to you write? I write a lot every day. Now tell me, how could I improve my writing and vocabulary? I know all of these words. And how many classic books have you read? How many books have you read? Exactly my point. Besides, it's only an okay article. It's a semi-interesting topic, but everyone's already talked about it a lot. It's sort of becoming a cliche now.  

Seriously. I agree with the beginning of the comment. There are big words that I know the definitions of but the younger people that read this article might not. For their sake, we should at least do a little dictionary or something. 

tuzik SILVER said...
tuzik SILVER, Martinsville, New Jersey
this was such a well-written article. it seems like something that came right out of my history book but even better. i don't necessarily agree with everyone opinion in it but i always appreciate it when someone can articulate their point nicely. good job!

beautifulworld SILVER, Memphis, Tennessee

What's the point i wearing my favorite rocket ship underpants if no one asks to see them? -Calvin and Hobbes

wow, just what words did you not understand?? I really  was surprized with your comment, where were there any "big words"???

live-love-laugh BRONZE, Asldkjfoi, Connecticut

"Happiness is learning to see beyond the imperfections"

I agree! thanks so much for putting it into words! More than that, it's a really well-written article. I also feel like the NAACP is often more racist than most of America will ever be. Great job! keep writing :-)

While I do agree with you on the fact that Obama is actually biracial, I resent the rest of your comment. :-( Perhaps the writer is smart, and those words come naturally to her. Maybe you could learn those words, and improve both your vocabulary and your writing.

Imaginedangerous PLATINUM, Riverton, Utah
Wait, I'd better clarify that, just in case I accidentally offend anyone. Sorry. I do not mean that the NAACP should be dissolved. I mean that when it is, we'll know that racism is no longer an issue.

My feelings exactly. I don't think we can consider racism eliminated until we stop putting 'check race/ethnicity' bubbles on standardized tests, stop promoting people for the sake of 'diversity', and dissolve the NAACP (because there won't be a need for them if there's no more rascism).

KK2013 GOLD said...
KK2013 GOLD, Solon, Ohio

Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth.-J. K. Rowling

Bahahaha, that was a really funny comment. just saying.

shakesbeer GOLD, Middletown, Connecticut

i rather die on my feet than live on my knees

you are aware you made a fool of yourself hes not black he mixed you sound like you belong in an Asylum he has a race and last time i checked he was  the 1st BLACK preident

on Jun. 21 2010 at 6:14 am
taintedannex GOLD, Hong Kong, Other

The truth is that at some point, everyone's going to hurt you. You just have to decide who's worth the pain.

Some say having something to lose is what makes you vulnerable. I believe that having something to lose only makes you stronger.

We're all fully entitled to our own opinions.

I just wanted to let him know that he poses an interesting argument and explains it very well. 

Whether I, or you, or anyone else actually agree with his idea does not cut back from its merit as an article. However, if you do feel like letting the author know the other side of the argument, you could always post a comment to the author telling him your take, elaborating on it, and backing it up. Or, better yet, write up an article on Teenink. I'd be happy to check it out. If you do choose to do so, please let me know. 

Lalalovable SILVER, Antioch, California
I disagree. Just because President Obama is another ethnicity, doesn't mean that's the only reason people like him. At 1st people saw his election as a step foward in history from struggling so much in a society to causing a positive change. But a president should be voted for by the type of person they are, not their race or gender for that matter. And yes, it was a victory for all Americans.

Stargirl212 GOLD, Atlanta, Georgia

"No matter how dark the sky, you'll always have the stars."

Seriously? People celebrated the election of President Barack Obama bacause it was a huge step towards eliminating racism; because yes, it still does exist. For centuries, many people have believed both women and people of different races are not smart enough somehow to hold any real position of power. Yes, there are black CEO's, yes, there are white hobos, but the only presidents of our country have been (generally) white men. Having a black president means that more than half of our country believes a black man is better suited for power than a white man. Normally, it wouldn't really matter, but in this situation, it means that a lot of people did not disregard him immeadiately because of his race. That's a big step up from the days of slavery, and even 15 years ago, when black people didn't have much power in America.

You may think that racism doesn't exist anymore, but you're wrong. (in my opinion.) It still does exist. Barack Obama is really starting to change that.

Goodness said...
first, Obama is actually half caucasian and half African-American. this is an okay article; there's too many big words. Are you trying to prove you are smart?

on Jun. 20 2010 at 10:19 am
Smileyky108 BRONZE, Venetia, Pennsylvania
I really like this! I loved your last sentence. But, I really do think that it's unbelievable that 50 years ago, black people were beaten up for wanting to vote. So I think having a black PRESIDENT is something we should celebrate. & Racism does still exist, we aren't completely past that, for example, if someone in my class says "I don't like Obama" another will say "Are you racist???!!!" It's pathetic. But, I DO really like your point of view, and this article. & I really think that we should judge his presidency based on his actions, not on the color of his skin. Great article!

on Jun. 20 2010 at 10:18 am
MajaOrlowska BRONZE, Cedarburg, Wisconsin

"Though the sun is gone, I have a light." - Kurt Cobain
"All we are saying is give peace a chance." - John Lennon

why? can't the author have her own opinion?

on Jun. 20 2010 at 6:22 am

If a caucasian sees himself as “white” and identifies with others of his skin tone to form a coalition promoting his race, this is racist. By this logic, pro-black coalitions are racist too. And those who vaunt Obama’s presidency as a victory for African-American people are included. 

where do i start i can not believe my eyes, o you even know why there are black coalitions? because sean bell got shoot 51 times last year by the NYPD coming out a bachelor party, because Rodney King was beat half to death by LAPD on tape and in both case cops got off free, not even a suspension. those racist black coalitions (a word you spelled wrong) were started because of jim crow laws, because a black men where lynched for fun, because little black girls were raped, and no one with any power to do anything cared. are you serious i think this a joke or maybe you wrote this intoxicated because this is ridiculous are you proposing that blacks could have came from the slave cabins to presidency without banning together with "coalitions", if so im truly sorry you live such a life of ignorance. 

on Jun. 20 2010 at 6:12 am

Barack Obama is now America’s first black president. You may say “Hooray!” but I say “So what?” 

what im black maybe you do not understand allow me to explain. no black person expects racism to end in fact the election showed how racist some people are, there were countless racist attacks on obama. like FOX news local anchor calling michelle obama a "baby mama", highly offensive. anyways your just confused because you base your article off an assumption that is not true, people see the election as the end of racism. frankly that belittles and insults the america publics intellect. 46 years ago black man could not ride the front of a bus, now one is president this type of social change over a generation is shocking and black people, such as my self, encounter racism from the government, especially local. wether it be from the police department or the justice system or economic functions or the bias education system.