Is Milk Really Good for You? | Teen Ink

Is Milk Really Good for You?

May 25, 2015
By Anonymous

Milk is an American tradition served for breakfast all around the United States. Many people know milk for its ability to make your bones strong and prevent osteoporosis. But is this information accurate? The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) thinks differently. The PCRM thinks that the only reason milk is even being sold is because of its main selling point Calcium. Everyone wants to be healthy and have strong bones, if the people of America have no reason to not believe information why would they debate against it. However it turns out milk isn’t as good for you as you originally thought. It could even be killing you!


There are major downsides caused by drinking milk as well. For example milk increases cholesterol and your chance to get heart disease. Milk proteins and other sugars have been known to cause breast cancer. Also humans are the only species that drink milk from another animal. Milk is meant for baby cows(calves) that usually weigh around 100 pounds at birth (Dr. Verma), they need all the calcium they can get to grow up to be healthy. But as humans since we weigh an average of 8 pounds when we are born we don't need as much calcium intake as baby cows would. Since our body gets used to the milk we begin to crave it, children that don't drink milk when they are younger tend to not crave milk as much when they are older. Simply because their body has no current knowledge of consuming milk and or liking it.

Milk is thought to have about 300 mg of calcium per cup so obviously people think they are getting very beneficial results from drinking it (Goldschmidt). Many studies have turned eyes toward health issues that are caused from the consumption of milk. Think about what you are putting into your body before you drink it.

Is drinking milk really worth your bones?
 


The author's comments:

I wrote this essay for my english class and she required us to sumbit it here