Terrorism at the Olympics | Teen Ink

Terrorism at the Olympics

March 17, 2014
By Anonymous

On Friday, a week before the Olympics were were going to start 180 miles away, Russia’s security forces appeared on Makhov Street at 8:30 a.m. They surrounded a brick and stone house as the people inside opened fire, putting their lives on the line trying to escape the police. This is just one of the many groups of terrorism who vowed to disrupt the winter Olympics in Sochi this year. Russia’s biggest threat is the country’s most wanted terrorist, Doku Umarov.

This is the first time in the history of the Olympics
that the place is near a war-zone. As we now know, nothing happened of major impact, but the threat was constant. A terrorist group called Chechen decided terrorism at the Olympics would shock the world. This is a main reason why Russia drastically increased security. Some of the athletes even told their parents not to come because they wouldn't be living in the Olympic village, and a regular hotel would be an easy target.

Even though nothing happened, people were still scared something was going to. A lady known as "Black Widow" was already in Sochi even before the games started. She is apparently a huge, dangerous threat. Just like always, she snuck in and out unseen.

I think a good solution would have been if Russia didn't even have taken a chance. They should have devoted more soldiers to finding the terrorists. They didn't do much, but if they were found the athletes would feel safer. I know i would, but the precautions that were taken weren't nearly enough.

Even though the Olympics are now over, doesn't mean the Chechen or other terrorists groups are done attacking the games. We still need to be on the look out, but I'm glad everyone came home safe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/05/world/europe/an-olympics-in-the-shadow-of-a-war-zone.html?_