Swing States Breakdown: North Carolina | Teen Ink

Swing States Breakdown: North Carolina

By Caesar123 DIAMOND, Union Grove, Wisconsin
Caesar123 DIAMOND, Union Grove, Wisconsin

"Madness in great ones must not unwatched go" --Claudius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet

North Carolina

Electoral Votes: 15

Governor: Beverly Purdue (D)

State Legislature (Upper House): Republican (31-19)

State Legislature (Lower House): Republican (68-52)

Senator: Richard Burr (R)

Senator: Kay Hagan (D)

U.S. House of Reps. Majority: Democratic (7-6)

After 2008, it isn’t to surprising to find North Carolina among these swing states. For some time North Carolina had been voting solidly Republican, and was a given for most Republican candidates. However, four years ago Barrack Obama turned things around and pushed North Carolina into Democratic hands for the first time since 1976.

Obama reversed the long time Republican trend, but just barely, beating his opponent, Senator John McCain of Arizona by about 0.3% or 14,000 votes. In 2008, Obama relied heavily on a growing minority population (mainly African Americans). Also large urban centers, such as Charlotte and Raleigh, were spawning grounds for Obama sentiment.

However, Obama and his administration now seem to face an uphill battle from Romney, Ryan, and their Republican allies. In the 2010 sweep, Republicans took control of both houses of the North Carolina legislature, and have been effectively able to block most of Governor Purdue’s agenda. The support here has come from the newly founded Tea Party, as well as old time Republicans who’ve held the state since about 1964.

So who’ll it be? A tough call, but yet again, I think that Romney wins this one. Obama was barely able to take up North Carolina in 2008, and considering the reception he’s gotten here in 2012, odds are most North Carolinians aren’t behind him. Plus, with unemployment sitting high at 9.6% (a percent and a half over the national average) Obama, and the Democrats in general, can’t be looking to good to most people.

While Obama was able to capture North Carolina in 2008, his campaign has lost much of its luster and prestige, one of the reasons why he was able to pull ahead of McCain four years ago. Romney and Ryan’s rising popularity as well as their widely approved of economic recovery plan has put them into the forefront of many North Carolinians minds.

However, if Obama were somehow able to revitalize his campaign within these last few weeks and reenergize his base, then perhaps is all is not lost. Perhaps (if he can improve voter turnout enough) he could have an upset win in North Carolina.

This article is the fifth in a series about swing states and their importance in the 2012 presidential election. The other states are in chronological order: Michigan, Florida, Colorado, and Iowa.