California's Dream Act: A True Nightmare | Teen Ink

California's Dream Act: A True Nightmare

By emilykl BRONZE, Eastvale, California
emilykl BRONZE, Eastvale, California

Every tear says a thousand words but its up to the bearer what language they speak

Every year approximately 25,000 undocumented students graduate from California high schools. The Dream Act, written primarily by senator Orrin Hatch, would give those students federal financial aid as long as they meet a few simple requirements. Seems like a very charitable idea doesn’t it? When writing the bill he must have forgotten about the children of the over two million legal citizens’ unemployed. The unemployment rate in California is 11.3% a full 2.7% above the national average.

So instead of working to create jobs or at the very least improving benefits for those who are unemployed like our members of congress promised while campaigning they are wasting their time and our money to support illegals. In my opinion it is just proof of the overwhelming corruption in our government. I agree, these teens have potential to be great but why should we reward their parents for breaking the law by bringing them here?

Unemployment benefits given by the state provide barely enough to get by let alone prepare those teens with unemployed parents for college. This forces many true Americans to attend schools that hinder them from reaching all of their plausible accomplishments or not go to college at all. That’s a nightmare; elected officials shunning the needs of their voters. Sadly their motives are easy to recognize, more votes. Part of the bill will help the students gain citizenship, guaranteeing them 25,000 more votes per year.
If it is passed these students are being given better education opportunities then many natural-born citizens. Particularly since there have been a considerable amount of budget cuts in schools, higher education is essential. This is allowing them to steal the jobs that are rightfully ours, which cannot possibly help the unemployment rate.

The most perplexing part of it all is according to United States immigration laws state any person who enters the country without proper documentation and permission is considered illegal. Another arresting part of the law is that encouraging others to enter this country illegally is a crime. Perhaps I am interpreting the bill wrongly but isn’t offering low cost education encouraging? Maybe not directly however it certainly presents much temptation. These people are going to and already have been crawling over the border and this provides an impeccable for them reason to take the risk.

Another thing I find disappointing about this bill is lately there has been a lot of talk among politicians about trying to bring jobs back into America which I completely agree with; I just am unable to comprehend how bringing more people in is a solution. Nothing about this bill is remotely dream-like for Californian citizens; rather it is an intimidating nightmare. If it is passed the already intense job competition is going to get even worse, which is nerve-racking just to imagine.