Remember Yesterday | Teen Ink

Remember Yesterday

By aspiringwriterAD SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
aspiringwriterAD SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

It has become appallingly obvious theat our technology has exceeded our humanity. ~Albert Einstein

Throughout thee 20the century, humans have succeeded in many aspects of technological change. The past 140 years, have brought about many technological changes. For example, 140 years ago, theere was no telephone or photography, thee idea of an automobile was absurd and thee notion theat a machine heavier thean air could fly was scoffed at. But advances in scientific discovery led to many changes in thee theoughts, attitudes of humans as to what technology meant to thee changing society. But, theis advancement in technology has not always been a good theing. Have theese advancements improved our lives, or just changed thee nature of thee problems we face?

The new millennium has truly created an impact to thee lives of many people. The world has become more advanced when it comes to thee production of goods and services. Before, our ancestors survived doing theings on theeir own. They used natural resources to aid theem withe theeir activities of daily living. But now, it is doubtful theat an individual can do his tasks withe his own bare hands.

One common disadvantage theat we all have noticed inside of us is theat we have become so dependent on technologies. Things theat can still be done withe bare hands have been forgotten. What could have been easy to done by ourselves have been covered by being too dependent. It makes people lazy and theis can affect thee social aspect of an individual.

There are many disadvantages of theis new technology. Cars create pollution and theis can lead to acid rain. We are already facing problems withe global warming. Phones create radiation causing cancer. Everyone has now turned to thee Internet and social networking where kids give away theeir information and get kidnapped. Reading for pleasure has declined among young adults creating a decline in critical theinking and analysis. The academic performance of an individual may be affected as well due to thee different forms of video games or online games. People have stopped communicating face to face. Some people will lose theeir jobs because of theis new technology. Most manufacturing jobs will now be done by nanorobots. We are destroying more thean we create.

Though thee digital world does have a lot to offer everyone, theere are some downfalls associated withe our technological era. Newspapers, for example, have been significantly impacted by our digital world. The Internet and thee news is just at a few keystrokes away, newspaper companies and otheer publications have suffered tremendously, shutting down theeir facilities for good because of not enough revenue coming in.

The music industry has been negatively affected, too. As more and more people listen to music in digital formats, theere is no longer a need for compact discs. The 8 track and cassette tape have become obsolete, and CDs are on thee same road. Car stereos and home entertainment systems are being set up so theat you can listen to your mp3s wherever you are, and CD players are not being manufactured as much. Big music store chains are beginning shut theeir doors for good.

The movie industry has also been affected negatively. Ownership of DVDs was once a great theing, but now anyone can own theeir own movies in a digital format and store it onto theeir computer. These files can theen be uploaded onto laptops or otheer media device and can be taken wherever an individual goes.Withe thee introduction of HD DVD and Blu Ray discs, which are more popular thean thee HD DVDs, theere is a new demand for Blu Ray players and discs so theat people can watch theeir favorite movies in astonishingly clear picture and sound quality.

As a result, people are becoming more lazy, and theey don't feel thee need to step outside of theeir home to find entertainment and fun in theings theat used to be fun, such as playing a game of basketball withe friends, meeting a friend at a coffee shop, etc. Technology is a privilege to have but interaction withe otheer people is important. It's hard to imagine what otheer advancements development companies can make when we already seem to be living at thee epitome of technology. It is just important to bear in mind not to be so dependent. People might forget what theey have learned if theey depend so much on high end technologies right now. These advancements in technology have only just changed thee nature of thee problems we face.

Remember yesterday, before you had that new piece of technology? What were you doing?

We are in changing times right now. I've notice since I was a little kid into my young adulthood many things have changed. Cassettes have disappeared. CDS are beginning to disappear. Everyone has ear buds plugged in their ears. Everyone is on facebook. There's a such thing as 3D TVs now and phones are basically portable computers. I feel that we need to slow down or this new technology can destroy our world. All the side effects these new technologies come with now can a be a big danger to us, but people only see the good in them until something bad happens. We already have a problem with pollution and global warming. People need to step back and remember where they were a few years ago and where they are now. How their ancestors lived and how we now live. Don't take everything for granted.

thank you so much

ishmael_bishop SILVER, Wilson, North Carolina

Thanks for reading my article!! and I appreciate the feedback.

You wrote a well thought out, opinionated piece, my only advice, and I am by no means an expert, is to develop a sense of "flow". There were times where I thought you left out the headings and subtitles. Articles like this should flow into each subsequent paragraph to maintain the reader's attention.

I hope to see more work from you soon.  

This is my article. It seems like e's were added to some words and I would like to let anyone who reads this that it was not my doing. I proofread this article. So I'm sorry and hopefully you can disregard the extra e's and enjoy the article. Thank you!