Gay Rights | Teen Ink

Gay Rights

By Callie Manning GOLD, Lantana, Texas
Callie Manning GOLD, Lantana, Texas

This was written in response to gay marriage being banned in California.
The founding fathers based the birth of America around the Unalienable Rights, the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That every man and woman, regardless of their beliefs or lifestyles, could live freely. These rights were above the law, could not be taken away or challenged. But now, over two hundred years later, they are being threatened.
Religious groups are saying all across the nation that same sex marriages should not be allowed, that they are unnatural, immoral, etc. Even our own president says that gays shouldn’t have rights.
People are interpreting the bible in many different ways over this issue. Some say it specifically states that marriage is restricted to only a man and a woman, while others say that any two consenting adults can wed. There are gay churches and millions of homosexual Christians, and also churches that vehemently oppose same sex marriage, thinking it the worst kind of sin.
Even if the bible said word-for-word “People shouldn’t be gay,” what about the separation of Church and State? There is no reason for religion to influence the government. And this isn’t even a purely Christian nation. What about atheist gay couples, or Jewish gay couples, or a gay couple belonging to one of the hundreds of other religions. Should their rights be controlled by another religion they have nothing to do with?
Others say that gay marriage shouldn’t be legalized because it isn’t natural. But if being gay isn’t natural, then shouldn’t plastic surgery, medicine, glasses, and birth control all be outlawed? Thousands of unnatural products are being developed and sold everyday, but somehow no one is complaining about that.
And if gays shouldn’t be allowed to marry because it’s always been that way, then shouldn’t blacks be property and women second-class citizens? We as a country have adapted to cars, airplanes, television, and just elected an African American as president. Surely we can allow two people that love each other to be able to marry.
Gays and lesbians have been stereotyped into harmful images, men as being feministic with lisps and women as man-haters. But in fact they are the person in front of you on the highway, the student you pass in the hallway, the girl you sit with a lunch, and the singer you listen to on the radio. Homosexuality is present in all cultures, genders, and races. They are just like us. So if gay’s right to marry is forbidden, then what’s next? Will abstinence be enforced by law? Will interracial couples not be able to marry? We must take a stand for our rights and the rights of those around us, and not wait until it is too late.

COLER530 said...
COLER530, New York, New York
i disagree

Robert214 GOLD said...
Robert214 GOLD, Guangzhou, Other

Make the best of what is within our power, and take the rest as it occurs. -Epictetus

I agree with your point here. Homosexuality has been common in different cultures over centuries. It should be regarded as a natural thing.

RyanH424 BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I disagree.

JesseR. BRONZE said...
JesseR. BRONZE, Austin, Texas

"The world keeps spinning. Time goes on."
-My cousin Alicia.

This is a wonderful response to something that affects so many people, and you're an excellent writer.

Silence. said...
Silence., Flower Mound, Texas

"Silence is true wisdom's best reply." -Euripides

I can never seem to understand the "homosexuality is a sin" spiel that many homophobes use. It is agreed upon by virtually every self-respecting psychologist that sexual orientation is something that cannot be changed. Thus, if God created straight people, then he created LGBT people too, and the assumption that he created people of a different sexual orientation just to be discriminated upon by heterosexual people violates God's supposed omnibenevolence.

ColdplayForever BRONZE, San Jose, California

"Coldplay fans are the best in the world. If you like Coldplay, then you're obviously very intelligent, good-looking, and all-around brilliant."
~Chris Martin

I definitely agree with you.

Glorious_Liberty BRONZE, Avon, Connecticut
Dont agree but im conservative so...

Jayman0224 said...
I agree this was a well stated comment

StormAxis said...
StormAxis, Bartlett, Tennessee

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." - Terry Pratchett

"So if gay’s right to marry is forbidden, then what’s next? Will abstinence be enforced by law? Will interracial couples not be able to marry?" If the gays are denied the right to marriage, nothing is next. Until recently, gay marriage had been illegal throughout the history of the United States. Interracial marriage was once illegal, but that changed. Again, gay marriage has always been illegal- this has never affected the social status of abstinence. Abstinence can't be enforced by law and won't be, not even as a result of the illegality of gay marriage. Sexual activity isn't any business of the government, they won't be regulating who engages in what and when. I'm afraid that much of your argument is flawed. If you choose to revise your opinion piece or write a more refined one, I'll happily read it with an open mind.

EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

I agree. People shouldn't use the Bible to forbid gay rights, etc. If they're happy about it and fine with it, then it's alright. It's their choice, not ours. Everyone is human, everyone is equal. We are all humans; and it's true, that we're all equa;, because we are. But we still treat everyone like we're all not equal. We should just respect each other and accept the differences. Just because there's differences, doesn't mean it's bad. We're all different; no-one can be the same person. Maybe similar personalities, but no. We are not the same person. We are our own each, unique selves. Thank you for sharing this. ^_^ You are a talented and wonderful writer and person. You have such a talent and greatness in you; I hope you know that. Thank you again. 

CharleyLatta BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts

"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." -- Mother Theresa

The intolerance you show is incredibly disrespectful. This issue is the same as interracial marriage, today that is very much accepted.

natcac SILVER said...
natcac SILVER, Folsom, California

1John 4:16

I think you brought up really important points.  Our founding fathers stated that all men are created equal and should not be denied the persuit of happiness.  I also think that many people believe just because you are Christian, you are against gay marriage but that is just a stereotype and a misconception.  I think it's very important that we take a stand for our rights and protect the constitution

Xinwen PLATINUM, Brossard, Other
"But in fact they are the person in front of you on the highway, the student you pass in the hallway, the girl you sit with a lunch, and the singer you listen to on the radio. Homosexuality is present in all cultures, genders, and races. They are just like us."

I think I love you.

(I kid, I kid! xD)

But thank you. For writing that. I'm glad to see someone gets it.

kristen=) said...
gays should have the same rights as everyone else,=)

it is not fair.

i am christian and i have alot of gay friends.

I don't believe too much in being against/for gay rights. Honestly, I believe you can't get married in the Catholic church to someone of your same sex simply because the sacrament of matri-mony is reserved for the man and woman, joined together to be one. Yes, I am Catholic. Let the gays get married legally or in an accepting church. I don't care about that. Just don't let them soil my church and it's old traditions that go back to Jesus's time. I mean... We already had gay preists... And that was in ONE AREA. They were ex-communicated! Gayness is not something I want my church to turn into. It seems to be the only pure part of my life, un-tainted by time.

i think this is great! it shows that there really is no age, gender, or race to love...