Legalize Gay Marriage | Teen Ink

Legalize Gay Marriage

February 5, 2010
By SemiVeggie SILVER, Bellevue, Washington
SemiVeggie SILVER, Bellevue, Washington
9 articles 0 photos 23 comments

I believe gay and lesbian individuals within the United States should be able to marry, and therefore have all the same rights as heterosexual couples, because the 11th amendment to the constitution of the United States forbids the twisting of constitutional rights in order to deny others their right. Also, the fact that federalism is being used as an excuse for the federal government to bow out of making a decision on this topic – marital rights are not delegated to the federal government within the constitution – is deplorable. To be sure this right is protected I will petition gay rights activism groups, and lobby the executive branch to institute a pro-gay marriage act nationwide.

On the surface, the issue of gay marriage is a simple one: should homosexual couples be allowed to marry (and, thus, be extended the same rights) as heterosexual couples? Once you dive deeper, however, it gets more complicated. Not only do you have pro-gay marriage activists versus anti-gay marriage activists, you have the church backing the anti-gay activists. Plus, with the federalist wrench thrown in – should the gay rights issue be delegated to the state governments or to the federal government – gay marriage is an incredibly complicated issue. There is also the argument made that by denying gays and lesbians their right to marriage they are also being denied their constitutional rights to the pursuit of happiness.

As stated, the 11th amendment states that “the enumeration in the constitution, of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people” (United States Constitution.) Given this argument, a state proclaimed gay marriage policy is a construction of federalism to deprive some United States citizens of their rights to the perusal of happiness.

In addition, former Vice President Dick Cheney is pro-gay marriage, saying he thinks “freedom means freedom for everyone” (Smith, Ben) and I agree with his statement insofar that as long as every United States resident has the right to life, liberty (freedom), and the pursuit of happiness within the constitution, these rights need to be extended outside of the constitution as well.

Furthermore, the gay rights battle has been called the civil rights battle of our generation, and, according to Jay Leno ‘there has never been a civil rights movement in [this] country that has failed,’ (Schwzarzenegger…) making the national legalization of gay marriage not only morally and constitutionally correct, but also historically and inevitably so.


The United States federal government needs to legalize gay marriage throughout the United States. While this is a huge step forward for the protection of individual rights, it is less so for the common good. However, a homosexual marriage cannot be detrimental in any way to the common good, making the point mute. The only viable argument against gay marriage is that it is against ones religion. But that is a violation of the 11th amendment, since ‘your’ right to freedom of religion cannot infringe on ‘my’ right to the pursuit of happiness.


The United States Constitution.

Smith, Ben and Martin, Jonathan. Gay Groups Grow Impatient with Barack
Obama. 4-6-09. 4-11-09.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/23328_Page2.html


Schwarzenegger vetoes same-sex marriage bill again. 6-11-09.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/10/13/BAT7SPC72.DTL



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 18 comments.


on Dec. 6 2012 at 4:26 pm
kagebrubak, I must say all relationships are natural. Saying that God intended for a relationship to be between and man and woman is strictly based on your religious views. There are many people in the world with different religious views, just like there are people in the world with different sexual prefrences. Yes, you have the freedom of speech and can have your own opinion, but I ask that you please not say that love is nasty. It would be like a homosexual couple walking by a heterosexual couple kissing and saying it's nasty. Or when a man and a woman get married, there are no homosexuals saying, "Oh that's so gross. That should be illegal." So I just don't see what is so wrong about love, whether its between a man and a woman, a man and a man, or a woman and a woman. I think homosexuals should be given the right and the freedom to love and marry who they please. Thank You.   This reply was not intended to hurt anyone's feelings, just to voice my own opinion.

coco28 said...
on Oct. 11 2012 at 2:21 pm
Totally disagree with your opinion because, gay/lesbian are not right. I believe God made man and woman to get married and populate.

on Dec. 9 2011 at 11:45 pm
SemiVeggie SILVER, Bellevue, Washington
9 articles 0 photos 23 comments
I'm a little confused, so I'm breaking my rule of thumb that I don't respond to comments on my articles to request clarification... When you're talking about someone being pathetic, are you referring to me or to RealisticWoman?

Bobbi PLATINUM said...
on Dec. 9 2011 at 1:27 pm
Bobbi PLATINUM, Terry, Mississippi
39 articles 1 photo 46 comments
 The fact that you are replying to a comment from 2010 is pretty pathetic but if you had read all of what Threefiddy said, he/she said it had always been seen between a man and a woman, a concept that came from the bible. Treefiddy stated it was a male/female issue, I was stating that where the concept came from was wrong. I was also stating that there is no legal reason why homosexuals cannot marry. To elaborate on my reason of why the christian concept of male female marriages I went on to state that America was not truly formed a Christian nation, because to be formed that way they must have acted that way, and the formation of America was built on greed and sin. Also most of the founding fathers were Deists anyways. I was just reiterating what most people would say back, I was covering all the ground work beforehand. If you must bring it back up though, well over a year later, go right ahead. 

on Dec. 8 2011 at 3:37 pm
RealisticWoman BRONZE, Nowhere Land, Alabama
2 articles 0 photos 16 comments
Why do people keep targeting the bible? Threefiddy provided a perfectly logical explaination that included no mentions of the bible and yet you bring it in the arguement. He merely stated that there are some things a father cannot offer that a mother can and some things a mother cannot offer that a father can.

on Nov. 16 2011 at 9:20 pm
peace_love_beauty PLATINUM, Florien, Louisiana
22 articles 35 photos 121 comments

Favorite Quote:
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalms 23:4

Although I disagree with your opinion, you make a good arguement and write well.

on Jul. 29 2011 at 6:43 pm
callie15 BRONZE, North Plains, Oregon
3 articles 21 photos 424 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?"
-Chuang Tzu

"No man with a good car needs to be justified!"
-Wise Blood

Thank you! Someone who agrees with me:)

on Jul. 29 2011 at 6:41 pm
callie15 BRONZE, North Plains, Oregon
3 articles 21 photos 424 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?"
-Chuang Tzu

"No man with a good car needs to be justified!"
-Wise Blood

Not everyone in the United States is religious, and religion should have no effect over law. Sorry, that's simply the truth. You have the right to your opinion, but that should not prevent couples who love each other deeply to not have the right to marry.

on Jul. 7 2011 at 3:51 pm
CookieMonsterAttacks SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan
6 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I called you a lady, 'cause you're fat!" ~ Gracie G.

I agree. And anyways, not all people are religious. If people can have religious freedom, than people can have gay marriages.

on Jun. 15 2011 at 9:54 pm
kagebrubak GOLD, Sidney, Ohio
15 articles 1 photo 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"As you get closer to the light, the greater your shadow becomes."
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby."
"The best way to become boring is to say everything."
"Forget arrogance, just ask and recieve"

I agree that marriage is a natural right, but only natural marriges, and frankly gay/lesbian marriages aren't natural being that God intended and intends for procreation which is impossible for same sex couples. Plus it's just nasty to see two of the same gender kissing, much less getting married.

on Feb. 7 2011 at 6:45 pm
eileentotheleft BRONZE, Los Alamos, New Mexico
4 articles 0 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Perfectly perfect is fine (or so the story goes), but nature left all on her own will make the perfect rose." -Persnickity

In that case, you are suggesting those that are infertile should not be allowed to marry.

on Nov. 29 2010 at 6:39 pm
Kyle Tierney BRONZE, Marcellus, New York
2 articles 0 photos 89 comments
also the saliency of this issue to me is not very high

on Nov. 29 2010 at 6:38 pm
Kyle Tierney BRONZE, Marcellus, New York
2 articles 0 photos 89 comments
marriage was originally intended by God to be between a man and a woman. It is intended for the sole purpose of bearing children and creating life. I don't care what the constitution says, marriage should be between a man and a woman. If you don't like it then tough

Bobbi PLATINUM said...
on Oct. 16 2010 at 2:23 pm
Bobbi PLATINUM, Terry, Mississippi
39 articles 1 photo 46 comments
Marriage is a reason of love and it seems to me when you ask someone why homosexuals cannot marry and you press them further with questions it always goes back to the bible. Well in America there is this wonderful right we have called freedom of religion and for you because i am sure you will say that America was formed on Christian values, it was not. Here is why it wasn't, in America they burnt people, killed people, hung people, oppressed women, were racist to other minorities and races, and stole from innocent people. Last time i checked that went against the 10 commandments. There is no legal reason why homosexuals cannot marry it is all just biased and biblically based.

on Jun. 28 2010 at 9:43 am
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California
1 article 0 photos 158 comments

I disagree. The entire prospect that marriage should be redefined to something that has never been considered in the long history of this institution is foreign to me because I cannot understand the reason to undo such a vital union, which serves as the basis for raising the next generation.

The issue of gay marriage is not a homosexual/heterosexual issue, it is a male/female issue. The entire issue of marriage is not who you are, it is who you marry. Anyone logical realizes that there are vast differences between the two sexes, there are no fundamental differences between people of the same sex, heterosexual or homosexual. The union has existed throughout time solely as one between a man and a woman. Over the centuries, a vast array of laws has grown up, all based on circumstances that arise in unions between a man and a woman.

"Marriage is not a right but a set of legal obligations imposed because the government has a vested interest in unions that, among other things, have the potential to produce children, which is to say, the future population of the nation."

Marriage has a purpose. It is not a meaningless, arbitrary, aimless institution. It serves as the landmark for which each new generation is born in to, under the ideal circumstances of a father and a mother. There is something that no mother can offer her child that only the father can offer, just as there is something that no father can offer that only a mother can.

This is not out of hate toward gays. I hate being called a bigot more than anything else.

 

Supporters of gay marriage, I ask of you what you believe is the purpose of marriage. If you believe that marriage has no purpose, I then see why you seek to redefine its meaning.


on Jun. 10 2010 at 8:24 pm
Dani_Girl BRONZE, LaSalle, Other
3 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone.

I agree 100% I am entering highschool next year and I plan on participating in the day of silence. I am a straight girl but, I still know what it's like to be treated differently for something you can't control and I will not stand by and watch hatred become legal. Congrats to you for explaining and validifying your true, TRUE point!

on Apr. 1 2010 at 5:24 pm
DayofRain50 GOLD, Robbinsville, New Jersey
14 articles 0 photos 48 comments
to anybody who disagrees with this, I want to know what is the big deal if gays get married. I want one actually good reason why its anybody's business if they get married or not. How much is it really going to affect you and your life. Its their life too, and its not like they chose to against the bible or God or whatever.

Candyman said...
on Apr. 1 2010 at 2:42 pm
SemiVeggie's essay is great -- well reasoned, passionate and logical. Semi-Veggie's view is the one that will prevail. Semi-Veggie is smart. As for Chloe-e-e-e, stop letting others do your thinking for you: the drafters of the Constitution couldn't have anticipated what our modern society would look like (they also didn't specifically mention rights of women, people of color, people with disabilities) but they were all about equality. As for "God" and the tired "Adam and Steve" crack, get over your superstitions and join the 21st Century. It's fun.