Uganda's Bill to Kill | Teen Ink

Uganda's Bill to Kill

By Mighty.Morphing.Brower.Ranger GOLD, South Haven, Michigan
Mighty.Morphing.Brower.Ranger GOLD, South Haven, Michigan

Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round. Any variation is bad.

In a country infamous for its treatment of its gay and lesbian citizens, a new legislation is being considered that would actually impose the death sentence on homosexuals. The world should be ashamed that Uganda’s government is so narrow minded and malicious, and that we as an international community have allowed an environment -where such a bill could even be imagined-to exist.
Uganda has a history of being conformist to the extreme. Officially sanctioned homophobia is par for the course, according to New York Times’ Jeffrey Gettleman.
Gay Ugandans are tortured with beatings, blackmail, death threats, and what has become known as ‘correctional rape’. It is exactly what you think it is. Rape of a gay individual (usually a woman), in order to ‘cure’ their homosexuality.
Violence against women and children is calmly accepted by Uganda’s society and its government, as is abuse of its prisoners. Corruption is the name of the filthy rotten game, and the players are what allow the game to be played in such a depraved way.
James Nsaba Buturo, whom holds the ironic title of ‘Minister of Ethics and Integrity’, is a prime example of what makes the grimy engine of the Ugandan government run. “Homosexuals can forget about human rights.” is one of my personal favorite quotes by him.
Adding fuel to the fire of hatred and bigotry are, I regret to say, three American evangelical Christian missionaries whose claims to be able to ‘Cure’ homosexuality have been discredited throughout their native country. Scott Lively, Caleb Lee Brundidge and Don Schmierer gave a series of talks last March to Ugandan police officers, politicians and teachers which, according to witnesses and audio recordings, claimed that gays and lesbians are a threat to bible based values. No one has yet commented on just where in the bible rape is condoned.
Talks like these are damaging when given to any audience, and the loathing and ignorance shown by these Americans is sickening. These words of hatred were delivered to some of the most influential people in the African country. The message will be delivered to the citizens and students of Uganda via heralds that believe whole-heartedly in the idea that homosexuals are not to be considered human beings.
Now our three fellow countrymen are back in the states, and claim that they had no intention of inciting the rage that has led to the introduction of the Anti-Homosexuality Bill of 2009. What I fail to understand is how they thought they could preach hate while they themselves are obviously ignorant, and now ignore and deny the consequences of their disgraceful actions.
No one is going to make them pay for the atrocities they caused. These three will never be held accountable for their actions. So, a few gays will be put to death for the ‘crime’ of falling in love, and being who they are. But that’s not a big deal, right?
Wrong. As an American, I am ashamed of sharing my nationality with these people. As a human, I am disgusted with sharing my species. The World, and we as citizens of the World, should be making it clear to Uganda that not only is this bill an unacceptable transgression against humanity, but the very basis of its so called ‘values’ and ‘morals’ is rotten and will no longer be ignored by the people with whom they must live.
We, as residents of the Earth, must police the actions of our fellow tenants. Any less is unacceptable of us as human beings. Like it or not, a gay Ugandan is still a Ugandan, and a person. They deserve the rights and freedoms that we all deserve. Someone needs to let Uganda know that if they follow through with this brutalism, they will become the next-door neighbor that’s an international pariah.
That ‘Someone’ needs to be all of us.

writer-in-pearls GOLD, San Diego, California
I completely agree, the missionaries that went to Uganda were very naive if they thought that there actions wouldn't lead to something like this, given Uganda's history. The missionaries claim to be Christian , but their actions are hardly Christian given the results and there intolerant message.