Disrespecting This Country | Teen Ink

Disrespecting This Country

November 1, 2009
By mcelronej BRONZE, Harrison City, Pennsylvania
mcelronej BRONZE, Harrison City, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
To be the best you have to beat the best


The sky was dark, the moon shined bright, and the lights glistened off the turf as the Friday night game was about to begin. The band started to play “The Star Spangle Banner” and I could not believe what I was witnessing. A group of kids continued on with their business not even paying attention to the flag or the song. It seemed like they did not care. It literally meant nothing to them.

As the song continued, their conversations got louder and you could understand them more vividly. They started to yell and used fowl language. It could have waited until the end of the song, but they thought otherwise. The adults around me started to stare. Their stares soon turned to glares. I felt as if I was shrinking. It was a true disrespect to this country.

The flag is a symbol of America and it deserves respect. People give their lives everyday for that flag defending America. People have always given great respect to the flag. Watching those kids made my generation look bad. They needed to learn how to treat the flag. Respect for the flag should never be something that is lost.

We, young and old, need learn to treat the flag with dignity. It is one of the greatest symbols of our country. The stars and stripes of the red, white, and blue deserve the utmost respect during the national anthem.