United Nations a failed mission | Teen Ink

United Nations a failed mission

By mydahazhar BRONZE, Lahore, Other
mydahazhar BRONZE, Lahore, Other

In the ever-changing landscape of the world, one idea that continues to capture popular imagination, across the globe, is equality. Equity, fairness and responsibility is a constant refrain in government and politics, globally. An organization that is considered the flag bearer of these notions is the United Nations. The UN is a global organization, created after the Second World War, that works towards sustainability and fairness in this world. The UN is meant to serve as a neutral base for resolution of all global conflicts, struggles, health crises and natural disasters; however, the fairness of their decisions and actions has always been a topic for discussion.

Access to a clean, green-energy efficient space is a right for all, but what if I tell you that this right cannot be given without fairly providing previously colonized states the right to develop. UN's environmental clauses and treaties have deterred  many low income countries from developing in the manner of first world countries. The US is the largest contributor to greenhouse gas emissions whilst the effect of these are severely felt across the globe, in particular in  such as the floods in Bangladesh and the droughts in Africa. The effect of  pollutants is felt across the world while the US enjoys access to a clean environment. When the UN imposes obligations on all countries to switch to renewable energy sources many countries don't believe it to be fair. While countries such as the US had the chance to develop by burning fossil fuel, cutting down trees and setting up industries, other nations were struggling to meet basic human needs. When these poor countries have gained chances to develop, sanctions due to environmental impact are placed on them. Moreover the environmental impact of the development of first world countries is felt in lower income countries. While the UN tries to provide disaster relief resources it is never enough to support these countries and many are left internally displaced. So is the UN's decision to expect all countries to move towards environmentally friendly practices fair?. While some might say it's fair as the globe can't afford to not move towards sustainable practices others might say lower income countries should have the chance to develop freely.

In addition to this the UNs unfair ruling on the demarcation of Kashmir and Palestine's borders puts its legitimacy into for question. Is it fair that the residents of Kashmir and Palestine suffer due to the arbitrary resolutions of the UN? The UN declared the land of Kashmir as disputed territory and said voting would take place, but it never did. This constitutes an inability to enforce decisions and questions the authority of the UN. Similarly, in the case of Palestine, the UN should be helping the victims of violence, rather than turning a blind eye on the genocide in Palestine.

I conclude that despite the United Nations’ undeniable global sphere of influence and aim to protect human rights and overall peace, they have failed many of us around the globe. Whether it is global conflicts such as the border dispute in Kashmir or humanitarian cases UN’s actions have often been influenced by western nations and power play, leading to their failures from a humanitarian point of view.