Floor It | Teen Ink

Floor It

April 1, 2022
By ktwitty SILVER, Tirana, Other
ktwitty SILVER, Tirana, Other
9 articles 2 photos 2 comments

Imagine the ease and efficiency of being able to drive yourself to sports practices, friends’ homes and school. Think of the skills developed from learning to drive and the hard work paid off.  The general US licensed age of 16 should remain as it promotes independence, responsibility and requires the use of helpful skills.  


Many parents enroll their children in drivers' education courses, which also lowers their car insurance costs. This benefits the parent’s cost rates but also the child who takes time to learn to drive. Driver’s education courses provide first-time drivers with instructors and practice. Depending on the state, a minimum of one driving practice course may be required, to gain a license.  They are very beneficial as they use gain criticism and tips. The driving age at 16 allows young drivers to build confidence in themselves. Along with that, many public US high schools offer extensive driver’s ed as a course that can be taken in the spring, summer and fall. During drivers ed classes, young adults learn the traffic laws, how to parallel park, safely drive, complete a turn, and many other skills.  


Before taking the written permit test, many teenagers practice DMV driving tests online, this teaches the importance of studying and knowledge. Those who use the driving handbooks are more likely to pass and understand more effectively. They learn the concept of preparation as they memorize laws, road signs, speed limits, etc. Online tests vary by state and provide other practice tools for the written permit. Online tests aren’t helpful for the driver’s license test, in which teens are hands on the wheel with an instructor. The real permit test showcases the response on the road, some may do better in a real-life situation while others may struggle to simply make a left-hand turn. Driver’s license testing allows instructors to differentiate who's ready for the roads and who isn’t prepared. It is an effective process that prevents unsafe drivers from causing accidents. The opportunity to study is helpful to responsible young drivers with the intention of succeeding, others misuse and choose to take it blindly, without study. The young age drivers who succeed use tools to prepare themselves. A controversial point is the lack of experience that young drivers face, therefore after taking the permit test, drivers can practice with parental supervision. They gain practice until they can take the actual license test.  


We may also utilize online sources for simulation games, driving tips, and scheduled several training courses events for teens. Many programs give hands on courses with professional instructors to educate young teenagers. This allows drivers to gain a better understanding from a mentor and teaches them the importance of understanding.  


The convenience of the driving age allows young people to travel wherever they need without the assistance from their parents. They learn to do something for themselves rather than being dependent on an adult. Teenagers will become more independent, doing their own tasks with the efficiency of driving themselves. Many teenagers can drive themselves to school, work or to their friend's house with an authorized license. Independence also promotes dedication; many teens have jobs and use the money to pay for part of their car. They promote the idea of hard work by earning money and putting it towards a good cause. Many parents take advantage of their children driving by having them run errands, carpool, etc. The ease of having a young driver is a gain for parents.  


Many may disagree about the driving age due to the immaturity and lack of responsibility of 16-year olds at the licensed age. Although, this is not the case as teenagers gain maturity and learn how to be a responsible driver.  As people learn from experience, driving is similar where practice promotes progression, and over time immense improvement. Along with that, as we age, we mature and grow. Young drivers start to gain these skills at a young age, and they continue to use them by practicing, learning and developing an understanding.

  
By learning to drive, kids continue to mature, learn and grow. When getting a permit, drivers gain a sense of adulthood, they feel a deeper responsibility and understanding. The general legal driving age of 16 should remain as it promotes efficiency, independence, responsibility and maturity.