Kyle Rittenhouse Verdict: Not Guilty On All Counts | Teen Ink

Kyle Rittenhouse Verdict: Not Guilty On All Counts

By RonnieWei BRONZE, Vaughan, Ontario
RonnieWei BRONZE, Vaughan, Ontario

On Friday, November 19, 2021, Kyle Rittenhouse, 18, was found not guilty in the shooting that killed two men and injured one other during a protest that occurred in Kenosha, Wisconsin last year. Effectively, this verdict draws to a close a trial that has divided the nation over matters of self-defense, gun rights, and race.

With millions of people waiting in anticipation, the verdict was finally reached after more than three days of jury deliberation. After a three week trial, Rittenhouse was acquitted of all five charges stemming from his actions on August 25 last year during a protest over the shooting of a black man, Jacob Blake, by a white Kenosha police officer. Rittenhouse was charged with intentional homicide in the death of Anthony Huber, 26, and reckless homicide in the shooting of Joseph Rosenbaum, 36. In addition, he was charged with attempted intentional homicide for severely wounding a paramedic on the scene, Gaige Grosskreutz, 27.

At the conclusion of the announcement of the fifth and final not guilty verdict, Rittenhouse was immediately overwhelmed with emotions. He cried in relief and fell into his chair. Having just avoided a potential life sentence, he gratefully hugged his defense attorney, Corey Chirafisi.

On the other hand, Rittenhouse’s freedom was met with sobbing and devastation from the victims’ families who were undeniably disappointed with the outcome.

“Today’s verdict means there is no accountability for the person who murdered our son," Hiber’s family said. "It sends the unacceptable message that armed civilians can show up in any town, incite violence, and then use the danger they have created to justify shooting people in the street."

The defense attorneys who represented Rosenbaum's family and Grosskreutz offered his condolences and requested peace from the public.

“Today we grieve for the families of those slain by Kyle Rittenhouse. Anthony Huber and Joseph Rosenbaum did not deserve to die that night," the attorneys said. "For now, we ask for peace from everyone hurting and that the public respect the privacy of the victims and their families."

In an attempt to reduce mass protests and outrage in reaction to the verdict, Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers also urged for peace among the public.

"No verdict will be able to bring back the lives of Anthony Huber and Joseph Rosenbaum or heal Gaige Grosskreutz's injuries just as no verdict can heal the wounds of trauma experienced by Jacob Blake and his family," Evers said in a statement after the verdicts. "I have seen the pain and the frustration of so many and we must remain steadfast in our commitment to ending violence in our communities."

In addition, President Joe Biden echoed the sentiments of Gov. Evers in an attempt to keep protests peaceful to avoid a repeat of the situation that led to this case in the first place.

“While the verdict in Kenosha will leave many Americans feeling angry and concerned, myself included, we must acknowledge that the jury has spoken," the President said in his statement. "I ran on a promise to bring Americans together because I believe that what unites us is far greater than what divides us."

Still anticipating heavy post-verdict protests, the city deployed 500 National Guard as an extra precaution to combat potential violence or riots stemming from the protest.

Due to the support of both sides in this case, protests are expected to occur regardless of the verdict’s outcome. Some are concerned with what this non-conviction entails for future gun violence cases, while others argue that this trial reaffirms the definition of self-defense through law.

“This is the verdict that the majority of America wanted,” said California resident Brandon Lesco, who held up a “Free Kyle” sign after the verdicts were rendered.

While the fatality of the case is a factor for the national attention the trial has garnered, the main reason stretches beyond this individual case.

The rise of gun violence has divided the country. Debates on this topic range from the attainability of gun licenses to the limits of self-defense. With the verdict out, this case serves as a crucial reference on the exact extent of self-defense for countless similar cases. However, whether or not future verdicts are consistent to this baseline remains a mystery.

This is a relevantly recent topic of debate regarding the trial of Rittenhouse. I am reporting the events of the trial and the events that led up to it. The trial is critical to the future of law as it sets the baseline for the very definition of "self-defense" and "gun rights". It is a unique yet powerful trial that can influence the future of US politics and justice.