Fox In the Hen House | Teen Ink

Fox In the Hen House

By xtemMO6 SILVER, Tirana, Other
xtemMO6 SILVER, Tirana, Other

"I am that which I am." - Han-Tyumi

Fox News, an infamous source known for misinformation and a distinct far-right bias also happens to be one of the favorite channels for America’s senior citizen population. I personally have witnessed my fair-share of brainwashing via the news, especially when I stay at my grandparents’ homes in the US.  

Most of the times I’ve ever had the joy of losing braincells (which doesn’t really change for most American news sources), it was 100% with my grandparents. For example, one of the more memorable times was this specific story: 

“Come here, Vin,” calls my grandpa. I walk into the living room and see the oh so familiar face of Tucker Carlson on the screen. I already knew this was going to be great, since we all know just how bright Tucker is. 

“Boy, I sure wonder what this is about,” I wonder as I sit on the couch to the left of my grandpa’s leather recliner. He was sitting there, chin in hand, obviously absorbing whatever information he could as he watched the screen. 

“Asian fish.” The first phrase I hear as I tune in to the TV. How curious. This exact scenario has happened to me many times. I walk by my grandpa to get a snack, or just sit down to see what’s up on the TV and it practically always seemed to be Fox News. Almost everyone must know about the station after the recent coming-abouts with Fox being a channel that was proven to spread lies to all the old people that tune in whenever it’s on. 

As I listen in closer, I learn that the current story was about a species of fish that is having its name changed because apparently it holds negative connotations towards Asian people. Pretty strange stuff, right? I myself was pretty darn confused. Especially because of how crazy it seemed to change the name of a fish for a race reason. Further on through the story, Tucker mentions how the species was invasive, and the fact that it was from Asia only made it seem worse to some people. 

But I guess that’s all that really matters with Fox News; showing whoever will watch all the crazy stuff they could think of. There isn’t much of a way to describe it other than preaching to a choir. A really, really, old choir. I have a feeling that most of the stories are going to revolve around whatever crazy thing Joe Biden says next.  Take Kamala Harris’s “Enjoy the long weekend.” Tweet for example. As soon as it was posted, Fox News blew it far out of the water, and made sure to release a passionate article about it.  

At the end of the day, Fox News is an extremely conservative-biased news source, that has way too much trust to provide true content. Not that Fox News is alone in its bias and lies, there are always going to be tons of websites and even news stations that are willing to do whatever to catch the viewer’s eye.