A Lucky Chance | Teen Ink

A Lucky Chance

By edonmo13 SILVER, Tirana, Other
edonmo13 SILVER, Tirana, Other

Covid 19 was a sudden change for the whole world. It started taking lives faster than any other common flu. I compared Covid with the common flu because the symptoms were the same. People were getting fevers, throat aches and runny noses and suddenly they didn’t have the energy to make it out of their bed.  

My aunt is a survivor of Covid. By the end of August 2020, Albania was pretty used to Covid, and we didn’t respect the measurements to feel safe anymore. My aunt was in Vlora and one of the families in her hotel tested positive. This is where me and my family think she got the virus from. My aunt went to get tested as she had all the Covid symptoms, but we didn’t think much of it. We knew many people who had gotten through Covid easily. Personally, I had this bad feeling because I know my aunt has many health problems like diabetes, and low blood pressure. My aunt called and she had tested positive.  

Throughout this period in Albania, Covid-19 hospitals were at maximum capacity therefore we could not send her there. My mother got very worried after she found out. My parents both decided that the best choice for her was to send her to Istanbul, Turkey. Many people we knew were going there and my parents knew some good doctors offering her the best help.  

This was the moment I truly realized how dangerous Covid-19 is. It didn’t matter how many people were asymptomatic, all that mattered was that there was a slight chance you could become sick. That slight chance was the fate of my aunt. The doctors had no hope for her. This was all because we weren’t careful enough. In a time where sickness was surrounding us, we were doing nothing, and our actions were as if we wanted to be infected not vice versa. We wouldn’t wear masks and we would hang out with large groups of people. My family was lucky to not be infected so they could take care of my aunt. If all of them were seriously sick, no one would be able to take care of me and my family.  

When there was no hope for my aunt, she suddenly started getting better. At that moment I looked up, I was grateful for whatever miracle happened and I was certain to take different actions next time. Covid has killed many people around the world and my aunt was almost one of those 4.95 million deaths. There are a lot of people around the world who do not take Covid seriously and all I hope is for them not to have to go through a loved person almost dying, or even dying to understand Covid is a threat, it is not just a simple flu. Covid takes a toll on the emotional state of the person impacted and those close to him or her. I would rather wear my mask until the threat is gone, than go through what I went through again. 

Covid-19 has really impacted the world and many families are struggling with it today. My reflective essay is to show how parts of my family battled this dangerous virus, and how people are going through though same things with eachother.