Trust Is Blind | Teen Ink

Trust Is Blind

May 5, 2009
By JennaEmily GOLD, Massapequa Park, New York
JennaEmily GOLD, Massapequa Park, New York
10 articles 20 photos 2 comments

I wish I could say that time-machines were real, and you could just go back in time to change the past…but only people who have fake crystal balls and sit in shop windows that say “free physic reading” can say that, and I’m not one of them; but maybe by reading this some people will get a glimpse of what the future may be. Well, Barack Obama is our new President…and as much as I’m personally not happy about that fact at all, there’s absolutely nothing I can do about it. So, I thought the least that I could do was write about it. Have you ever heard the saying “Love is blind”…you know, when you love someone so much that you don’t even realize all of their imperfections, or even worse…you do see them, but you just don’t care? Well, that’s exactly what I think of every single time I see Barack Obama’s face on my television screen. EVERY.DAY. Except, I’m gonna add my own personal touch to that phrase to fit the situation at hand, I’m gonna call it “Trust is blind”…yeah, that sounds a lot better. See, the thing about politics is that people become so mesmerized by their political party; it’s like they don’t even take the time to think about how their candidates will really affect the country; how they’ll influence their life; how they’ll leave a permanent handprint on the world. These changes can’t be un-done; they can’t be erased, or scribbled over. Politicians’ decisions are like permanent marker writing constantly over your life. Are we sure that we want everything Obama is doing to be permanent? Well to be honest, not everything a President does brings good fortune, it’s just inevitable that they’ll make a mistake and people won’t be happy about it. The only thing is, people are starting to think the Obama’s confidence is equal to flawlessness…and it’s not. Obama has this ability, this air about him; he could win even the most conservative Republican over in the blink of an eye. That charm, that self-assurance…it’s a great thing to have in a President. Except, Obama’s confidence could easily turn into arrogance, especially with all of the undying praise America has been placing on him. And I think that has to stop soon. The thing that I don’t understand is why there is such an overload of publicity about him? I mean seriously I see him in US Weekly more than I see Britney Spears! Even when I go on iTunes I’m haunted by the signs of him because surprise surprise…there are at least five albums entitled “Songs about Obama.” There’s t-shirts and hats with his face on it, there’s even a Chiai Pet of Obama; can you say “strange”? OH PLEASE! COME ON AMERICA! And while there’s nothing wrong with that in regards to a celebrity…for a president…I think it’s gone too far. Way too far…especially when I saw that Obama was the number 1 admired person in America over Jesus? Really?! Is this really what America has come too? A president is a president; a president is a political figure that should be viewed as someone to respect…not someone to download songs about onto your iPod. Personally, I think America has gotten a little vain and shallow when it comes to the emphasis we place on him; they’ve crossed the line between respect and worship. I think America has been acting a little silly, foolish, and immature with all of the Obama memorabilia and emphasis they have been displaying, and it’s making America look kinda…well, it’s making us look as though we’ve lost our sense of class; it’s making America seem really tasteless and vulnerable. So, I think America should just tone it down a little bit; get back down to earth. We have every right to respect him and we should, but let’s not treat him like our best friend ok? In times like this…being classy isn’t something we can afford to lose…not after our country has lost so much already.
As I supported John McCain, there were still things about him that I didn’t think were always right. I didn’t agree with every word that came out of his mouth just because HE said them. To be able to look at the candidate you support and still SEE and ACCEPT their flaws, imperfections, and negative points…that is what makes a good voter. To understand that everything they do will not always make you happy, to know that some of their strategies really are not that great…that is what makes a good voter. It’s one thing to believe and agree with everything your preferable candidate says just for the sake of agreeing with them…and it’s another thing to disagree with what your candidate says and STILL support them. In the voting process, you have to be adaptable once you have realized the negative points of the candidate you are going to vote for…you have to adapt to these things you don’t agree with and make them work for YOU. Is that really such a hard thing for America to do?
Sometimes…it’s hard to have respect for a person; especially for a politician. We know it’s the right thing to do but sometimes you can become so dedicated and loyal to your political party that you lose sight of how to treat the President if they’re from the opposing political party. One thing that really upsets me…is the way people made fun of George Bush so much while he was President. Now…could an infant probably make a better and more articulate speech than George Bush sometimes? Yeah…they could. Could he have done a better job in handling our economy? Yeah…he could have done that better too. But you know what? There’s always a way that someone can be better…it’s called progress…and clearly some people in America had a hard time comprehending that when Bush was President. See, as many mistakes a George Bush made, that still gives people no reason to mock him the way they did...every president makes mistakes so when Obama finally makes his first one will everyone suddenly stop and bash him too? No president, Republican or Democrat deserves that type of treatment…people who treated George Bush with such disrespect should have tried to put themselves in his shoes and see the difficulties of being president. Honestly, I feel bad for George Bush because I don’t think he deserved the treatment he was given…no president does. As a republican, I’m not gonna go around making fun of every little mistake that Obama makes, or creating YouTube videos mocking him when he makes speeches; I’m not gonna do half of the immature things in regards to Obama that Bush-haters did to him…and really…nobody else should either. If we all made fun of each other’s political parties, and went around making fun of the president where would that get us? Absolutely nowhere…and America isn’t about disrespect, so come on…let’s serve our country a little better than we have been.
So there you have it. My political rant I guess. Random? Yes. Controversial? Hopefully. Life-Changing? Well, not exactly. Eye-Opening? Definitely.


The author's comments:
Just a little rant about my political views =)