What I Hate | Teen Ink

What I Hate MAG

I always listen to my friends’ problems and try to give them good advice, but there are some things that just get under my skin.

My number-one annoyance is my friends who don’t get along with their parents. Left and right I hear “I hate my mom,” “I hate my dad,” “My parents are so stupid,” “They don’t care about me.” I think they don’t know what they’re saying!

What kids need to understand is that regardless of whether you have a boyfriend, girlfriend, or even a best friend, your parents care about you the most. If that’s hard to believe, think about this: How did you get a roof over your head, a bed to sleep in, food to eat, and most of all, a place to call home?

If that’s not enough, let’s continue. Look in your bedroom. Where did you get all that stuff? Your bed, the clothes in the closet, the blankets that keep you warm, or all the nonessentials. I bet most of it came from your parents.

I’m sick of hearing how your parents do “nothing” for you. They probably do more than you do for yourself. Consider that next time you start ripping on your parents, who also gave you life.

My second problem has to do with something a little more personal: my father. So many times I have heard friends say, “I hate my dad,” “He is so over-protective - he never lets me do anything.” I simply think, At least you have a dad. Think about kids who don’t. Your parents care about you, and that is why they’re so protective.

My father ran away. After my mother divorced him, he just left and didn’t say where he was going. I had always been “daddy’s girl,” which made this even harder to cope with.

So, please stop before you say “I hate,” especially if it’s about a parent, and think about those of us who aren’t lucky enough to have two caring parents.

Mobin_salimi_1384 SILVER, Bandar Abbas, Other

"When you are afraid of something dive straight into it, because the intensity of abstaining from it is greater (worse) than what you are afraid of."
Imam Ali (PBUH); Nahjul al-balagha, hadith n.175

I love it. Fantastic.

IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

I don't know what to say :( I just don't...

Electricity PLATINUM, Bradenton, Florida
I agree with you. Kids tend to not see what privileges they are offered. Parents may seem unloving, strict, harsh, and sometimes unfair, but they do it out of love. Whenever my mom becomes strict, or makes more rules, or yells at me, I smile and say, "I love you too!". Because if she didn't love me, she would care about how I am brought up, how I present myself, and what grades and school I go to. I completely support your opinion, kids need to learn that parents are sometimes strict and unfair because they love their kids.

sarsar said...
sarsar, Elverson, Pennsylvania
I know how you feel.But some people dont have parents to love and care for them. some people get abusted.

Wow amazing piece!! I agree with you on the father thing. I don't like it when people say "I hate my dad" because well they dont know what it is like to have a father ditch you. The same thing happened to me. My parents got divorced and I saw my dad off and on for 3 years. His house never felt like home though. My self-esteem is practically next to nothing because of him too. He emotionally abused me and now I dont see him anymore. I still miss him dearly and even though i have one of the best stepfathers in the world, it still isnt the same. I totally agree.

Dead_Eyes said...
on Dec. 27 2008 at 4:27 am
I see where you come from but you dont know what eveyones home life is like. Some kids and teens get abused verbly, phisicly, and mentley eveyday, even killed by their parents. But alot of teens wine about how "horrable" their parents are, when it could be far worse.

i know how u feel. i understand

this is very well written, except, some peoples parents really don't care about them. i come from a very different backround, my mom is a drug addict and she very well doesn't care if i were dead or alive. and yes some parents do care, not all people have a great home life.

Lalamazingg said...
Amazing:)