Is Imagination More Valuable Than Knowledge? | Teen Ink

Is Imagination More Valuable Than Knowledge?

July 2, 2014
By BestWritingByBrit GOLD, Livingston, New Jersey
BestWritingByBrit GOLD, Livingston, New Jersey
14 articles 1 photo 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard."


French writer Anatole France once wrote in his book, The Crime of Sylvester Bonnard, “To know is nothing at all: to imagine is everything.” He believes that imagination can bring someone anywhere, where facts are straightforward and dreary. One might argue that imagination is more valuable than facts for numerous reasons. Imagination can bring happiness and hope which should be appreciated throughout society and the world.

To begin with, I have seen how great imagination can help other people. Think about music: what is it really? Music is a creative aspect in life that anyone can make. If everyone can make music, then music must be very diverse and unique. There are all different kinds of music. It all comes from the heart and the head- which is imagination. Many people compose music as their lifestyle! Think of the success of Beethoven, Elvis Presley, and Katy Perry. They are three completely different artists, yet they all have one thing in common- they used their imagination to make wonderful sounds known as music. Music is not hard and mean facts, so it has gotten people to the moon. One way how imagination works its way to assist others is through music, which is significant to culture and society.

In addition, there are thousands of different styles of art that really show that imagination is really vast. There are so many types of art; cubic, rococo, gothic, and so many others. Artists put all their thoughts into their artwork, and everyone’s artwork means something specific. When Pablo Picasso first showed his artwork to other people, many people were shocked. Back then, all of the artwork were portraits of famous people, but his were totally peculiar. It seemed odd to other people, as it was not a portrait! Art is something where someone can gather all their ideas, feelings, and emotions and express it! In art. There are no strict rules that someone has to follow, such as: “Someone can only paint with a paintbrush”, or “Art has to be neat and tidy”, or “Watercolor is the best for art”. Artists use whatever they like, do whatever they like, and they use their imagination to its most to give someone the best artwork that really comes from them. Imagination has enriched society in a variety of ways. Art is imagination, as it is a non-stopping trail of hope.

As a final point, I have experienced how imagination can help myself! For instance, I had a six hour long road trip, and most people would groan about that. On the other hand, I was super pumped about it, even though it would seem tedious. I could daydream for so long! My mind would take me to the clouds, all they way across the world, and back. I absolutely loved it! Albert Einstein once stated, “Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” This famous quote shows that knowledge has a stopping point, where someone gets trampled with facts, facts, facts. Imagination is basically an endless supply of inventive and original knowledge!

Undoubtedly, so many things prove how spectacular to imagine is. Knowledge is like a speck of dirt, where imagination is like the universe. Facts can only get someone so far, but imagination can bring someone everywhere! If someone only thinks about facts, that person will get nowhere! Imagination is a blessing, and it takes people places they have never been before. Trust me on this- because I have been to the clouds.


The author's comments:
Imagination is so valuable, treasure each moment of it!