Is Imagination More Valuable Than Knowledge? | Teen Ink

Is Imagination More Valuable Than Knowledge?

By BestWritingByBrit GOLD, Livingston, New Jersey
BestWritingByBrit GOLD, Livingston, New Jersey

"Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard."

French writer Anatole France once wrote in his book, The Crime of Sylvester Bonnard, “To know is nothing at all: to imagine is everything.” He believes that imagination can bring someone anywhere, where facts are straightforward and dreary. One might argue that imagination is more valuable than facts for numerous reasons. Imagination can bring happiness and hope which should be appreciated throughout society and the world.

To begin with, I have seen how great imagination can help other people. Think about music: what is it really? Music is a creative aspect in life that anyone can make. If everyone can make music, then music must be very diverse and unique. There are all different kinds of music. It all comes from the heart and the head- which is imagination. Many people compose music as their lifestyle! Think of the success of Beethoven, Elvis Presley, and Katy Perry. They are three completely different artists, yet they all have one thing in common- they used their imagination to make wonderful sounds known as music. Music is not hard and mean facts, so it has gotten people to the moon. One way how imagination works its way to assist others is through music, which is significant to culture and society.

In addition, there are thousands of different styles of art that really show that imagination is really vast. There are so many types of art; cubic, rococo, gothic, and so many others. Artists put all their thoughts into their artwork, and everyone’s artwork means something specific. When Pablo Picasso first showed his artwork to other people, many people were shocked. Back then, all of the artwork were portraits of famous people, but his were totally peculiar. It seemed odd to other people, as it was not a portrait! Art is something where someone can gather all their ideas, feelings, and emotions and express it! In art. There are no strict rules that someone has to follow, such as: “Someone can only paint with a paintbrush”, or “Art has to be neat and tidy”, or “Watercolor is the best for art”. Artists use whatever they like, do whatever they like, and they use their imagination to its most to give someone the best artwork that really comes from them. Imagination has enriched society in a variety of ways. Art is imagination, as it is a non-stopping trail of hope.

As a final point, I have experienced how imagination can help myself! For instance, I had a six hour long road trip, and most people would groan about that. On the other hand, I was super pumped about it, even though it would seem tedious. I could daydream for so long! My mind would take me to the clouds, all they way across the world, and back. I absolutely loved it! Albert Einstein once stated, “Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” This famous quote shows that knowledge has a stopping point, where someone gets trampled with facts, facts, facts. Imagination is basically an endless supply of inventive and original knowledge!

Undoubtedly, so many things prove how spectacular to imagine is. Knowledge is like a speck of dirt, where imagination is like the universe. Facts can only get someone so far, but imagination can bring someone everywhere! If someone only thinks about facts, that person will get nowhere! Imagination is a blessing, and it takes people places they have never been before. Trust me on this- because I have been to the clouds.

Imagination is so valuable, treasure each moment of it!

Aww thank you so, so much! You really made my day!! :)

midnightwoah said...
midnightwoah, Monett, Missouri

"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky

This is for sure the best opinion article I have ever read on TeenInk! While reading I had remembers quote I want you to look up that said,"Creativity is knowledge having fun." You deserve a gold metal!

Haha thank you! Imagination can always bring you anywhere you want! :)

. said...

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

Wow! Your essays continue to amaze me! I love this soo much! I am told everyday that my imagination is nothing compared to my superior knowledge, and it really bugs me even though they mean well. I shall show them this spectacular essay to prove myself next time! Thank you! XD

aww thanks so much!! :)

CreativeFreakkk DIAMOND, Spencer, Iowa

Stand up for what you believe in even if it means standing alone. -Andy Biersack
Sometimes you gotta fall before you can fly. -Kellin Quinn
You made me hate my own reflection. -Sleeping With Sirens

I agree with you I believe imagination is important, if were didn't have it we wouldn't have music or books, we wouldn't even have beds, imagination is an important part of our lives and should be valued.