What Is Commitment? | Teen Ink

What Is Commitment?

May 18, 2014
By briannelee21 SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
briannelee21 SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
9 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."


Commitment is not just something that immediately comes to you. At least that’s what I think. To be committed to something, you have to have a goal you are striving to reach. Or if you don’t have a goal, you have to at least have an interest in whatever you are doing. Of course, to be committed you don’t have to meet those ideas, but it makes it easier to do whatever you are doing. If you are not committed to something you do and you have to force yourself to do whatever it is, you are probably not seeing the need to do that something.

A way to stay committed is to find a goal that you must reach. I find it easier to commit to something when I know I have a very important goal to reach in order to succeed. For example, I am somewhat committed to schoolwork because I know that middle school is preparing students for the real deal, high school. I find myself setting new goals for each marking period and working to reach them. I am very committed to preparing myself to high school because almost everything that happens in the future depends on how well you do in high school.
I believe that to be committed to something, you must have a passion for whatever it is that you are doing. I am committed to my church and being a Praise Leader because I love doing it. I love music and I love being around my friends in a nice church environment. That is why I find it so easy and fun to do. Every week, I always look forward to Saturdays and Sundays because I love going to church and being a part of Praise Team. However, when it comes to running the mile in gym class every fall and spring, I find myself dreading school. That is because I am not athletic and I hate running, so I don’t like running the mile and I have a hard time committing to it.
Being committed means that you are focused on that one thing because you have a passion for it or a longing that you must fulfill. Being committed now can help you for the future where you have to support yourself in your own life. Ways you could stay committed is to find something that you like in the activity or if you cannot find something that you like about it, set a goal for yourself and raise the bar for yourself. Make the activity so much more important than it really is and that way, you are sure to be committed.