The Colors of Macb | Teen Ink

The Colors of Macb

By zoegoldman BRONZE, Manhattan Beach, California
zoegoldman BRONZE, Manhattan Beach, California

American author and psychologist Daniel Goleman once said, “There is perhaps no psychological skill more fundamental than resisting impulse.” Goleman's quote expresses how controlling temptation can influence the rest of one's life. William Shakespeare’s tragedy play Macbeth tells the story of the Scottish Thane Macbeth, who, through tyrannical rule, kills many to acquire Scotland's throne. Through these murders, Macbeth allows his impulse to control him, only realizing once done, it is too late, and he must face the consequences. Throughout the play, Macbeth chooses to execute different actions to receive acceptance from others. This contributes to the theme of pursuing a false image of oneself, which is delivered through Macbeth's tragic impulse to prove his manliness. The color palette above “The Intention Evaluation” represents Macbeth’s tragic impulse by exploiting the purpose of the actions Macbeth chooses to take part in and represent his desire to express himself to others. The play uses the colors of Chartreuse Purity, Inhabitant Sickness, and Wilted Blood to describe Macbeth’s need to prove his manliness. 

The color “Chartreuse Purity,” described as a naturally bright green, represents Macbeth's purity and success. Early in the play, three witches visit Macbeth, sharing prophecies that he will become the Thane of Cawdor and the future king. In response, Macbeth says, “By Sinel’s death I know I am Thane of Glamis./ But how of Cawdor? The Thane of Cawdor lives/ A prosperous gentleman” (I.iii.74-76).  Upon hearing this news, Macbeth questions the reality of these prophecies occurring. He recognizes his support for the current Thane of Cawdor, and hesitates to believe if the weird sisters are telling the truth. Initially, Macbeth does not go straight into thinking what actions are required for these prophecies to come true but instead wonders if it will happen. He has a natural response to these prophecies, proving his pure intentions. When Macbeth returns home from an impressive victory, Ross, a Thane of Scotland, tells Macbeth that “The King hath happily received, Macbeth,/ The news of Thy success, and, when he reads/ Thy personal venture in the rebels’ fight,/ His wonders and his praises do contend/ Which would be thine or his.” (I.iii.93-97) Macbeth is praised for his devotion to his country and king by not being afraid to defend it at all costs. Macbeth’s supporters recognize him as a great and courageous Thane, with a prosperous future ahead of him. Macbeth supports Scotland with intentions to serve his king and his country by being true to himself. 

The color “Inhabitant Sickness” is a mustard yellow, representing the decline in Macbeth's mindset. When Macbeth informs Lady Macbeth of his intentions to kill Duncan to become king of Scotland, she says, “When you durst do it, then you were a man;/ And to be more than what you were, you would/ Be so much more the man” (I.vii.56-58) Lady Macbeth is acknowledging that only by killing Duncan, Macbeth will become a real man, compelling Macbeth to follow through with the killing. Lady Macbeth influences Macbeth to do something he is uncomfortable with and to take action against his morals. As a result of her suggestion, Macbeth starts to contemplate whether to do this as it will change the course of his life. He is aware his plans are wrong and is concerned the guilt will drive him to become mentally unstable. Macbeth admits that he has “no spur/ To prick the sides of my [Macbeth’s] intent, but only/ Vaulting ambition” (I.vii.25-27). Macbeth acknowledges that Duncan has done nothing wrong but must murder him to demonstrate his transformation to his wife. He lets go of his old beliefs and creates a new image of himself to please others. Macbeth’s killing of Duncan sets off a chain of events in which Macbeth must take part to keep his throne and all he has worked for. He recognizes that what he is doing is wrong but chooses to ignore his conscience, and thus begins his mental decline.

The color “Wilted Blood” is a scarlet red that shows the death of Macbeth's old self and how he has transformed into a new person. When talking to Lady Macbeth, Macbeth says, “I am in Blood/ Stepped in so far, that, should I wade no more/ Returning were as tedious as go o’er” (III.iv.168-170). Macbeth is saying that he has already gone so far and killed so many, so he cannot stop until he achieves his goals. His dedication has spilled the blood of many. He lost the consciousness that he once had. He continues his tyrannical reign, only understanding the consequences once it is too late. Macbeth transforms from someone unsure of killing another to an unstoppable killer willing to do anything to keep the crown. Through his actions, Macbeth loses all the support that he once had. Malcolm, another Scottish Thane, goes as far as to say, “This Tyrant [Macbeth], whose sole name blisters our tongues,/ Was once though honest” (IV.iii.14-15). Malcolm describes how Macbeth, who has turned evil, was once a good man. Macbeth has become corrupt by trying to prove himself. By pursuing a false image, he forced everyone who once supported him to turn against him. Macbeth’s old self wilted and dried up into an unrecognizable and inhumane version of his past self.

Macbeth's tragic impulse to prove his manliness to all contributes to the theme of pursuing a false image of himself. Through the color palette “The Intention Evaluation,” these three colors, Chartreuse Purity, Inhabitant Sickness, and Wilted Blood, demonstrate Macbeth's tragic impulse during the play. Macbeth's poor decision and his blindness to reality made him unable to recognize the impacts of his actions. Macbeth must face the consequences after failing to stop his actions, though he acknowledges what is wrong with them. The catharsis from the tragedy play Macbeth is the pity that the audience feels for Macbeth, through his failure of staying true to himself in his tragic story. Macbeth went from a man with a promising future ahead of him to an ambitious man who cannot stop himself from killing. By the end of the play, Macbeth loses all the compassion he once had and becomes a cold man with no empathy for others. The idea that the reader should takeaway is how others’ influence should not force you to do something you are uncomfortable with. Do not be forced to become a false version of yourself. By knowing your place and sticking up for yourself, you can make your own decisions and live your own life without others' influence.

This document includes different colors that presents colors that represent Macbeths tragic impulse.