Body types through the years | Teen Ink

Body types through the years

By Bethanblack PLATINUM, Kington, Please Select
Bethanblack PLATINUM, Kington, Please Select

"Boys are meant to ruin your lipstick, not your mascara" --Marilyn Monroe

An unfair prejudice in society is our bodies and our shape. The expectation is forever changing but our bodies are not adapting to what they want. It is entirely impossible to keep up with the standards when it changes so quickly. This is predominantly focused on women but can be centered around men as well. In either aspect it is entirely unfair. One minute you are pretty but the next no guy will touch you.

In Victorian England, they wanted a full figured woman with a cinched waist but then years after in the Edwardian decade, it was desirable to have an S shaped body. This was a defined difference from the hourglass figure the Victorians enjoyed as now the corset forced the hip back but your busy forward. 14 years later and the body shape desirability had differed again. You wanted a low down bust. It wasn't hugely different but it had differed. In 1950, they demanded we have an hourglass figure with a tiny waist. Most of all, you needed a large bust and small hips. Another decade passed and it was now far more desirable to have no curves at all and be extremely thin. This was perhaps more easy to maintain but a drastic change from the 1950's. In 1970, you wanted a flat stomached, slim hipped physique. 

Next you needed to be tall and athletic looking and after that you needed to have a waifish figure. And then came the toned body that was still slim. The cahnge is constant and it will change again and again. So why bother changing yourself for society. For all you know , your look might be the next best thing!

I wish I was from the 60's...